GAS outside of music…

100%
A DSLR, some lenses and a tracker can do amazing things.

1 Like

Amazing! :star_struck:

2 Likes

I’ve had GAS for photography, bicycles and retro videogames for many years. But I stopped that a few years ago. So, I realize that I currently don’t have any non-music related GAS. how strange.

4 Likes

That is some serious equipment you have there.

Actually I do not use a tracker that often.
It gets very very expensive when you want to start shooting deep sky objects :slightly_smiling_face:
I typically use a 14mm f2.8 lens, a velocimeter, and a $200 tripod. A good tripod is essential IMHO.

Years ago I wanted to capture as many of the constellations as I could. So far I have managed to get about 60 of them. Some I will probably never get because they never rise above the horizon in my area.

2 Likes

For me it’s…

…meh, I guess toys? Collectables? I dunno, nerd stuff like this:

pic04
A collection of World of Warcraft statues. Top left shelf is Arthas at the moment he picks up Frostmourne and becomes a death knight, a reversible Horde/Alliance symbol, and Ragnaros, an elemental lord. Middle shelf is a wee Illidan, Chen Stormstout (the archetypal monk brewmaster), a 3D print of my first WoW character, and a Horde orc. Bottom shelf is Pop Vinyl Arthas the Lich King, a collection of mini-figs from the World of Warcraft movie, and a Pop Vinyl Illidan.

pic03
A collection of figures and other stuff. From top to bottom, left to right: a Pop Vinyl of me (!), done at the Pop Vinyl place in LA, Voldemort’s wand, and the Buddy Christ. Next is a First Order TIE fighter, a Pop Vinyl Emperor Palpatine, a stand for my lightsaber (below) with Grogu behind it, a Pop Vinyl Darth Vader, and another First Order TIE fighter. Next is a small collection of LotR role-playing games, a King Tut souvenir from an exhibit I went to, a replica of the clock in Disneyland’s Haunted Mansion, the One Ring from LotR, and a stack of some D&D/PF role-playing games.

Oh, yeah, I guess TT RPGs qualify as well, but I’ve got too many to picture and detail here.

A life-size Watto (from the Star Wars prequels) that was made for a Pepsi/Star Wars promotion and made its way to me.

pic01
Two astromech droids from Disneyland’s Galaxy’s Edge Droid Depot. On the left is RD-D2 had he been an Empire droid, and on the right is a generic R5 unit.

My lightsaber with the lights out. Yeah, it’s a Kylo Ren replica. What can I say, I’m dark-side aligned. :slight_smile:

So yeah, that’s the kinda stuff I GAS for outside of music.

5 Likes

Ah yes, I like Star Trek too!

2 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

I have 319.
81 I have never even played once.

2 Likes

:joy:

2 Likes

@Janus Finishing every book is not a good ideal to strive for. I used to strive for this, too, but realized that my time on this planet is finite and therefore not to be wasted by poorly written books.

Nowadays, I put books into three categories. Pleasure, professional reference and poorly written crap. :innocent: I read books for pleasure cover to cover, references are referenced in part, so I won’t ever try to finish them (unless they are pleasurable, too, it happens), and crap gets refunded or recycled.

I have - oh sacrilege - thrown particularly bad books into the garbage, lest some poor other soul might read them. Good books that I won’t re-read go into public book shelves.

Which means, in a roundabout way, I also have mild Book Acquisition Syndrome?

Cheers,
Antonio

2 Likes

Love it. Had one for years. Wonder where he went.

2 Likes

Pilgrimage? A mission? :smiley:

1 Like

Best movie about religion ever made.

3 Likes

Religulous comes in a solid second.
Or maybe Python’s Life of Brian

5 Likes

Just GAS this at least it’s cheaper than another baby, lol but it could buy 2 BFRs

1 Like

Same pretty much! Was really into sim racing/gaming in general, but never bothered in so long since picking the bass back up, literally sold the vr and downgraded things a bit cos it was way overkill for sat doin next to nothing :laughing: and used the money to upgrade elsewhere

1 Like

This! BAS for me too. There are enough good books that I don’t have enough to read even a small percentage in my life. So I’m not spending any more time than necessary on bad books. Usually within a chapter or two I’ll chuck a bad book into the “donate” box for a local second hand book shop. My wife worked for years for a major book retailer and her 40% discount makes my house feel a little like a library sometimes. I’ve actually embraced the kindle and that’s helping keep the physical collection under control - but if I love a book I still go out and get a physical copy. I try to find QPs to hit the middle ground between MM and HC.

I was VERY into sim racing and would still like to get back into it. I was doing a lot of team endurance racing. It was a lot of fun. I got real busy at work and wasn’t able to spend much time racing and haven’t got back to it. My rig has been sitting unused for the last year.

5 Likes

Nice!
I mostly built on a budget :joy:
£20 rig from FB Marketplace, seat from a scrapped Audi, no monitors cos I only did it in VR :smile:

But yeah, sold all that for more bass gear :joy:

4 Likes

Wow man. That’s nuts. Super awesome.

1 Like