Get your motivation and/or support here!

I wasn’t sure where to share this image (shamelessly ‘borrowed’ from an unrelated subject group) and that made me think; “although we have great support for each other in these forums, we don’t really have anywhere that’s properly generic just for the overall learning experience”. So here we have it.

Feel free to add stuff that helps you get through a practice, a lesson, a jam, a gig, or just motivates you to try harder or keep trying.

10 Likes

Just watched that movie again a couple days ago. So good…

For me, playing with others is the best motivation. I want to keep improving so I can play better with them.

Practicing isn’t always fun. The lessons here are quite enjoyable though and it’s great they mix jamming into the lessons. I think it’s good to mix fun in with theory and technique.

My other motivator is that I have music in my head that I want to get out, but need a medium to do it. That’s what the bass is for me. When I can play what pops into my head, I’ll be happy.

5 Likes

Great topic, @PeteP . . . :+1:

I know that the Who and John Entwistle are not super popular here, but he is my personal favorite bassist and my motivation . . . :slight_smile: I try to emulate his style and tone when I practice, and each time I get a little closer, I feel as if I’ve accomplished something and am helping to keep his memory alive . . .

I could go on and on about this, but that’s what does it for me.

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

So true for me too @JT!

Have you considered working on a cover song and posting it here on the forum? It’s a really great way to learn, and (for me) has helped open myself up to the ‘constructive’ criticism along with positive feedback that folks here are known for…

3 Likes

So, like, just above fusion and jazz bass players?? :joy:
Nah, I think we all appreciate JE’s contributions, but maybe you want to share some of his playing in the Friday music thread and thus spread the word!? :grin:

4 Likes

Not popular here???
What?
Who do I need to fight?

7 Likes

Aren’t they? That comes as a surprise. The only reason I wouldn’t have John Entwistle on my list of inspirational players is because his style was so unique and technically complicated that I think I would have to get to quite a high standard before I could do it justice myself, and it’s not what I’m aiming for. Then again, I like to set an achievable aim and then set a new one as I get close. John would definitely be on my list of the best and/or most influential players.

4 Likes

Yeah I think I might have said the Who didn’t do much for me, but that’s my problem, not the forum in general :slight_smile:

5 Likes

THUNDER FINGERS!!!

My only problem with John Entwistle is that emulating what he did is currently unattainable.

6 Likes

@joergkutter, @Gio, @PeteP, @howard, and @eric.kiser

Hey, guys . . . I don’t want to take this topic off course, but what I meant was that the Who and John Entwistle are “not super popular” only in the sense that they are not CURRENT

And yes indeed, Entwistle had a very unique style of playing. :slight_smile: Each time I practice I spend a little time trying to figure out some of his basslines, and technique. I saw him live in concert a long time ago, and he has motivated me ever since!

As I said before, I could go on and on about this.

Just wanted to clarify my post, and sorry if I offended anyone.

All best, Joe

7 Likes

Understood.
Whew.
Thanks for the clarification. I’m putting away my brass knuckles now.

7 Likes

I give up… what movie?

2 Likes

I’m a big John Entwistle fan too! Good to know that others are on that wavelength tho I can’t see me ever coming close to playing like him. I’d even thought about a tbird bass to learn on only I can’t stretch to another guitar just yet, but if I can ever knock out a few Who bass lines well who knows? I might treat myself.

2 Likes

I guess at my age, 54 I’ve come to realize that learning to play bass is a skill, and you just can’t rush it. What I do is, I remind myself that this is a process. So, when I practice, I may be tired after a long day or maybe somewhat bummed about things in general, but I always remember patience, and I need to put in the work. My goal is to pick up my bass and plug in for at least 10 minutes per day if I can’t go the usual 30-40 minutes. In this way I get inspired.

Other things: This forum is very inspiring! Josh’s youtube channel is inspiring. And, I’m hearing bass in lots of stuff now, and I starting to get a feel for it. Love listening to old TV shows and picking up the bass in those shows from the 60’s and 70’s.

6 Likes

<— Rolls up sleeves and stands with Gio… JE is definitely awesome. Anyone says otherwise needs to go back to playing thier Spongebob bass.

2 Likes

So with you there. As long as I tell myself to enjoy the moment and dont get frustrated…I find playing the bass to be meditative almost. Just loose myself in a groove… (49 yrs old here). And you sound like me… I pick up my bass at the end of a long day and tell myself “Play for 10 min, do one lesson with Josh, then if Im still not in the mood put it away”. RARELY do I not keep playing after that 10 min… usually 30min - 1hr passes by…lol

4 Likes

I think Entwistle is amazing, despite not really digging The Who all that much. But wait… tell me more about this Spongebob bass and where I can find one :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As I typed that I was thinking of Zakk Wylde playing Sabbath on his Hello Kitty guitar (also proving its the musician, not the instrument, that makes the music)!

2 Likes

Ha! Awesome.

But if we are talking Sanrio I would definitely go for an AggRetsuko bass.

AggRetsuko is easily the best thing Sanrio has ever done :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The pictures in the original post are from Jurassic Park. Worth seeing if you haven’t. They aren’t all great (they’ve made 5 now I think), but the first one is.

3 Likes