Getting your bass more vertical

I play a Fender parts P-bass. I used a 4 inch wide nylon/neoprene strap. Left to its own devices, my bass likes to hang at about a 33 degree angle. I play at a 45 degree angle or greater. For a short period of time, I can hold the bass at a 45 degree angle using the palm of my plucking hand and thumb on my fretting hand. But this causes discomfort and cramping after about 20 minutes.

I tried relocating the lower strap button up a few inches, and that did not seem to have much effect.

Any ideas/suggestions?

2 Likes

Good old neck dive!
Try using a strap with more “grippy” material such as leather. It seems your nylon strap would be quite slippery
I use a 4 1/2 inch leather strap on my Hofner, which is notorious for neck dive.

2 Likes

You could also try to replace the tuners with something like hipshot lightweights. 3 or 4 ounces difference may not seem like a whole lot, but at the end of the long lever that is the neck it might actually alleviate the problem.

I would definitely try @PamPurrs solution first, though. Not only will you have a better strap, but it’s definitely the cheaper thing to try.

3 Likes

Do a forum search for neck dive.

There was a topic not long ago where people gave their suggestions.
Everything from changing to lighter tuners to adding weight(s) at the body end of the Bass.

4 Likes

lean to the right? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

I tend to play when sitting, bass on left leg, tilted up like a classical guitar. Really comfortable

3 Likes

Your mileage may vary I guess, but playing without a shirt on has worked for me

4 Likes

wait, all the rest of you wear clothes when you practice?

3 Likes

Only when I record covers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Try a Suede or Suede backed strap.
It sits comfortably on the shoulder but doesn’t move around like nylon or leather will.
Also play in in short sleeves or roll up the sleeve of your plucking hand so that the skin of your forearm holds the body in place.

Other than that… tie a helium balloon to the headstock?

2 Likes

Could always go old school Red Hot Chili Peppers

2 Likes

Only socks.
I need somewhere to hold my picks!

5 Likes

My leather strap is practically glued to my shoulder… Doesn’t move around at all.

1 Like

I appreciate all the responses. But a lot of the answers hear address neck DIVE or the strap slipping. That is not what I have going on. My current set up gives me a consistent 33 degree from the floor angle. But I want it to sit at 45 degree or greater naturally. So I don’t think a different strap is going to fix that because its not a slippage issue.

What I need to do is to change the center of gravity so that it hangs more upright if I am not supporting it with my left hand. That is going to require either moving some buttons, using a headstock strap, or somehow adding weight/ preventing movement of the lower end.

I can’t be the only weirdo that likes a more upright angle

2 Likes

The fixes for neck dive still apply. Lightweight machine heads, HiMass bridge or Kickass bridge, maybe some weights near the button

The strap simply keeps it from moving from whatever position you place it in through friction

1 Like

I play with an upright (45degree ish) angle also and just set that way on my strap when I put it on my shoulder… It stays that way and I don’t have to fight it because the leather strap Holds it in place.

1 Like

You can try the old school headstock strap loop (still used on acoustics).
Most nylon straps still come with one, or use a thin shoelace just to check it.
This keeps the bass pointed up further quite a bit.
Very old basses had a strap button on the back of the headstock, an easy add if you like the idea of tying there.

2 Likes

What leather strap do you use Pam?

I have three leather straps (2 x Minotaur, 1 x Darkglass) and they all slide to some degree.

I have 2 x Levys Suede straps and they just stay put but aren’t padded so probably no good for a heavier bass.

2 Likes

Levi’s Leather 4.5 inch. It’s thick, heavy leather (I was barely able to get the straplok pins through the holes) I have 2 of them.

3 Likes

This one?

Levys Leather Strap 4,5" BK – Thomann Ireland

2 Likes