Getting your bass more vertical

Only socks.
I need somewhere to hold my picks!

5 Likes

My leather strap is practically glued to my shoulder… Doesn’t move around at all.

1 Like

I appreciate all the responses. But a lot of the answers hear address neck DIVE or the strap slipping. That is not what I have going on. My current set up gives me a consistent 33 degree from the floor angle. But I want it to sit at 45 degree or greater naturally. So I don’t think a different strap is going to fix that because its not a slippage issue.

What I need to do is to change the center of gravity so that it hangs more upright if I am not supporting it with my left hand. That is going to require either moving some buttons, using a headstock strap, or somehow adding weight/ preventing movement of the lower end.

I can’t be the only weirdo that likes a more upright angle

2 Likes

The fixes for neck dive still apply. Lightweight machine heads, HiMass bridge or Kickass bridge, maybe some weights near the button

The strap simply keeps it from moving from whatever position you place it in through friction

1 Like

I play with an upright (45degree ish) angle also and just set that way on my strap when I put it on my shoulder… It stays that way and I don’t have to fight it because the leather strap Holds it in place.

1 Like

You can try the old school headstock strap loop (still used on acoustics).
Most nylon straps still come with one, or use a thin shoelace just to check it.
This keeps the bass pointed up further quite a bit.
Very old basses had a strap button on the back of the headstock, an easy add if you like the idea of tying there.

2 Likes

What leather strap do you use Pam?

I have three leather straps (2 x Minotaur, 1 x Darkglass) and they all slide to some degree.

I have 2 x Levys Suede straps and they just stay put but aren’t padded so probably no good for a heavier bass.

2 Likes

Levi’s Leather 4.5 inch. It’s thick, heavy leather (I was barely able to get the straplok pins through the holes) I have 2 of them.

3 Likes

This one?

Levys Leather Strap 4,5" BK – Thomann Ireland

2 Likes

Yeah that looks like it. I got mine on Amazon.

2 Likes

You can always adopt a courdory shirt look which will help keep the strap from slipping, and give you some percussive background if it doesn’t.

:smirk:

2 Likes

I know you don’t want to hear about straps, but maybe you could try a strap with a shorter shoulder-to-button length? I too prefer a more upright angle, and along with the total strap length, this is the measurement that I always look at. My current strap is the Gruv Gear SoloStrap Neo 4, it’s around 15 cm from my shoulder to the button. I also have the Neotech Mega on my wish list, that’s supposed to be pretty short as well. You can compare to your current strap and see if it might make a difference.

3 Likes

I have wanted one of these for quite a while. How do you like it?

1 Like

Setup was a pain in the arse (see my rant here), but other than that I really like it, and it’s my main strap. Good build quality, very comfortable, and as I mentioned above, I really like the short shoulder-to-button length. It doesn’t have a useless “dead zone” at the end like other straps do. It’s just strap from end to end, and I can put any part of it on my shoulder.

5 Likes

Cool! Just grabbed a used one for about $30US.

4 Likes

Wow, what a great strap. I should have just gone straight to this. Very impressed.

I do see what you mean about the adjustment being kind of a PITA, but once it is dialed in it shouldn’t change.

2 Likes

Gruvgear also do a David Ellefson sig strap that looks really adjustable.

⁣Gruvgear David Ellefson Recoil Strap – Thomann Ireland

1 Like

I’m glad to hear you like it also @howard. I’ll check to see if it’s available on Amazon and maybe give one a try.

Just a follow-up to this. I found I solution (I think). I took a basic nylon snap buckle. shortened it and then looped it through my belt buckle in the front and the bottom of the bass strap.

Seems like it works. Bass sits at the angle I want and my thumb no longer goes numb from holding the neck up

I’ve got one of these and it’s easily adjusted, from either end. It’s nicely padded and very comfortable. The adjustments are a bit different, but easy and you don’t have to remove the strap to do them.

Will try and take some pictures later, really impressed by the quality. Of course I have my in person lesson today after work which probably means I’ll forget, by I’ve got good intentions.

1 Like