Gio's Funk Album!

Hey BassBuzz fam, I need to alert you to the very important reality that our good friend @Gio released a funk EP with his group Bronze Medal Hopefuls a few months ago, and it is very funky!

Just listen to this awesome opening unison riff, and that tasty P bass tone. :slight_smile:

I’m a little late to the party… but the party’s still going on! Take a listen, shake your booty, and please considering buying it to support some real-life musicians during all this global craziness. :heart:

41 Likes

Awww, you big sweetie, you!
Thanks @JoshFossgreen.
I really, really love playing with this band.
I really, really, really miss playing with this band.
Hope you all dig the jams!

23 Likes

This is fabulous! I would go to financial and geographical inconvenience (Leonard Cohen) to listen to this!!!

It’s hard to figure out how to give you guys money though. I couldn’t find a link for it on the website.

I missed that the Petaluma Music Festival had a live stream this year. I for one would certainly be interested to hear about your or anyone’s performance dates in the Lounge here.

I used to go to the River Revival, usually to hear Baby Seal Club. I’ll certainly try to catch your show when that’s possible again.

10 Likes

This is the song with the great video for it, right? I love this.

9 Likes

Just click “Buy Digital Album” below the player -

8 Likes

Love this song!!

5 Likes

It does have a great video! Thanks for remembering.
And thanks @JoshFossgreen for the visual assist. And thanks @DaveT for the support!
Y’all are the best.

annnd… here’s that video.

20 Likes

That’s fantastic! Laid back, soulful, groove driven yet fun and funky all at once! Sound is somewhat similar to Vulfpeck at times, at least in this song. I dig it. Real nice bass tone. Great job!

Turkuaz is my favorite funk band right now.
This is a nice change of pace from the big band powerhouse funk of their sound, yet still right up my alley.

4 Likes

Hey @Gio,
Love the track, you’re bass playing is reeaallly smooth. The section leading up to the finish was really nice👍
Musical pieces without vocals are relaxing to listen to as you are able to break down the instruments and lock in on each component :+1:
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Loved every second of it…awesome!!

4 Likes

I really enjoyed listening to it

2 Likes

@Gio may I ask what you played it with? Bass? Effects?

4 Likes

Love the track. Well played bass (of course) and very well drawn too!

7 Likes

You all… thanks so much for the support and the love!
My own family hasn’t shown the love that I’m getting from my BassBuzz tribe.
Really appreciated, all.

@BassFaceDisgrace - yes, Turkuaz is rad. They’ve played festivals I’ve played before, and they completely own a room from the first damn note. Such a party. And, absolutely going for some of those very tasty Vulfpeck vibes.

@TNKA36 - I LOVE instrumental music. I’m realizing more and more - with each session I do - that lyrics are the single most distracting thing for my bass ear. I love getting vocal-less tracks. Helps me lock in more, groove more, and… usually… enjoy the tune more!

Pam! Thanks for the good word. I played my 50’s reissue P-bass with a big heap of foam under the bridge. Nickel wound-round strings into (here’s the secret sauce) a 60’s Ampeg B-15 that I borrow from a friend whenever I’m recording. It’s beyond glorious.
We also recorded directly to tape, so that’s a live take from the band. It’s also an extra bit of warm analog tape compression in addition to everything else.

Thanks @sfadams - with the lack of live-music opportunities these days, I’ve leaning more and more on my artwork! It’s real real fun.

17 Likes

Great Video, awesome all the way around, live sound, animation, fun little story, absolute creativity. Love it, and bought a copy.

6 Likes

I really enjoyed the music and the video… and nice Dune reference :grin:

7 Likes

@Gio, that is an awesome track! I also listened to Riding To Durham on YouTube. I really enjoy your music.

6 Likes

Very cool!
Not usually my cup of tea but this was a very relaxing tune.
My wife loved it and even asked me who it was and kicked me in the nuts by asking why didn’t I play like that. :cry:
Congrats on a great tune.

8 Likes

Tell her its cuz you need a couple new basses, and new Amp head and Stack, and a whole pedalboard. :wink:

Start off by getting you a Sixx signature T-bird

7 Likes

I’ve already got his Schecter Diamond bass. That’s his current bass

But I like your thinking.:metal:

8 Likes