GREAT GEAR - mediocre player

Since I do not actually own even one bass myself and am kind of still on my way of finding out my preferences I gotta ask. What is the estimated budget needed for each of those?

Or let me ask in a different way since it is probably way over my budget: Could you name a favorite in the 300-900€ price range?

3 Likes

Hey Juli0r I got a really nice Hofner for £300 great first bass

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I’ll look into it but there was a reason I started with 300€. It is kind of my first bass and also kind of my second bass. The one I have here is borrowed indefinitely.

I’m just having such a hard time to narrow the selection down even a little. That is why I stated the pretty open ended question about a favorite in the price range. I’m still unsure about everything: What kind of sound do I want? Jazz bass? P-Bass?
What brand? Also seems to depend on price range and preferred sound. And it’s not that one brand is better than the other. It might as well be that Fender has better things to offer in the 800€ price range and Ibanez in the 300€ price range or the other way around and… I’m just overwhelmed. I’m starting to understand the person telling me that chosing a bass can be a long process and I could start now even If I don’t plan to buy one right now.

I think I should just visit a store as first stop to see what’s available and to hold the different basses in my hand. Then again there are 2 stores here and one is a little store where I probably could get help but at the same time the options might be limited compared to the huge store. sigh

Sorry to hijack your thread like that @Graphics1988 but as someone with a lot of gear I thought you might have some valuable input for me. Of course I’ve seen the Bassbuzz video about a beginner bass but I feel like those options would barely be an upgrade. I just technically don’t own the bass I have so I would like something that feels a little smoother next.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @Graphics1988!

3 Likes

Truly a player after my own heart. So many similarities between you and I. 45 and just bought my first bass under a month ago and man am I smitten!

Huge welcome my dude and enjoy all there is here!

7 Likes

Ha! I like how staggering more between the frames became a thing. It still looks good that way, kind of like basses are floating down from the heavens and in through the windows.

6 Likes

Welcome aboard @Graphics1988,
Enjoy the ride.
Love your collection.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Hey @juli0r,
If your looking for a bass that is good build quality I think it is pretty hard to go past Yamaha gear.
Good value for money.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Yeah. From my personal experience if you’re looking for almost any instrument you shouldn’t pass up Yamaha.

I surely will include Yamaha. I never planned to exclude brands anyway. I don’t think my choice will depend on brand in the end. I will still keep it in mind.

6 Likes

How do you like your Fbass? I almost own a BN5 once the pickups come back from Canada…

3 Likes

Aw man, I was about to say “Nice Streamer!”

So I’ll say “Nice Dingwall!” instead :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s a nice wall of basses… now let’s see a pic of your bass boat! If I read correctly you are a tournament angler, right?

I have a slight fishing problem myself. 30+ years of sleeping in trucks next to rivers to nail the hatch timing. Living off ramen and pbj’s so I can pile up more fishing gear and boats. I’m a total trout bum and tarpon junkie, but I love fishing lots of species, and guiding pays the bills.

Welcome to the forum.

5 Likes

Welcome @Graphics1988.
I too have many Basses, love them all, and always on the prowl. Lol

5 Likes

Sorry, apparently i was limited to how many msgs i can send in one day - so i got shut out. lol…- I cant emphasise the Yamaha’s and G&L’s enough for your budget - USA G&L’s - or the Yamaha BB series. I am pretty obsessed gear junkie - my knowledge is pretty high, playing talent pretty low. :slight_smile:
I sold my Fbass BN4 for a VF4 - i prefer the PJ and the nut width over the BN - both great basses however.
Here is the boat Moose - for bass fishing tourneys.

(kind of an old pic - and my old house)

Thanks again guys for the warm welcomes -

6 Likes

No problem.
It is just a security thing to keep out spammers and trolls. It will get better if you are active and become a trusted member of the forum.

G&L… intersting. Haven’t shown up on my radar since I started scanning for basses. Thanks for the tips. I moved the discussion about my bass purchase to a seperate thread so if you are bored and want to read 50+ posts about an indecisive bass noob who wants to buy his next bass or maybe you just have more valuable input for me: Help choosing a second bass - #40 by juli0r

Went to a store today. Details in the linked thread/post.

4 Likes

Nice!

4 Likes

Actually I just noticed that was a Spector and not a Warwick. Nice bass either way :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s cool, np - I have three Warwicks - Stage I, Stage II, and a ltd ed Fortress. All, but the Fortress, have the same nut reach - a bit far…but they sound SO good. :slight_smile:
The Spector neck was a baseball bat - tone was great though.

2 Likes

I love the sound of both the Stage I and Stage II, which surprised me by being noticably different. Soooo growly and good.

I have a Rockbass Streamer LX and really like the thing.

3 Likes

The Stage II shines when you beat on it - a heavy hand is when it loves you best. The Streamer LX’s are great too - i had one or two - they really come alive with Rotosound strings too. :slight_smile:

4 Likes