GRS - Gear Regret Syndrome

She plays perfect now, I’m inclined not to mess with it, which includes installing the Nordy pickup I have for it.

2 Likes

The answer is always install the Nordy. What was the question?

1 Like

In general I’ve not been a fan of the Quarter Pound line of pickups. The SCPB is the exception. It has punch, low end, mids and highs. It’s quiet. It’s a fantastic pickup. I have seen boutique basses with this pickup, I can see why

TI Jazz flats are supremely comfortable and great sounding.

1 Like

I guess my GRS would be my Nordy 51P4S pickup.

Oh well

Thought you might get a few chuckles from the attached pics. The Black Knight is actually a pile of walnut boards, bonded together, with some maple strips sandwiched in, I milled from a chunk of birds eye maple. The bass is a beast; quite heavy-but ain’t no neck dive here!

9 Likes

Nicely done, @pops - I recognize gorgeous walnut when I see it. Here is a picture of my Roks - American walnut on European walnut:

8 Likes

There has to be a word beyond beautiful to describe your Roks. How do you clean and condition the walnut? And, how heavy is she? Love it.

1 Like

Well, there is a word that starts with a number and ends with “Euro”, but, yeah, thanks :grin:

As far as I understand, it has a coat of matte lacquer on there, so not much conditioning needed. Or?

Don’t really know (or care) - it’s a one-off, so no such specs available (unless I weigh it, which I don’t feel I want to). Let’s just say, it’s not a lightweight, but that means it sustains those low notes beautifully :wink:

1 Like

@joergkutter, when are you going to let me borrow that?

3 Likes

Well, that depends on what you are going to do with it :rofl:

2 Likes

Nothing dirty, just wear out the strings :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Yeah nah :wink:

2 Likes

I have regrets almost every time I buy something. For me, it is part of the process.
I send back a lot of stuff. I also sell a lot of things.
If it can survive my “post-purchase regret phase” it usually stays for longer.

My recent purchase regret (already put on sale) is the short-scale Maruszczyk Elwood. Lovely instrument, and beautiful craftsmanship… Alas, shor-scale is not for me.

2 Likes

I had such good plans and intentions.

I’m stoked about my Nordy 51J4S pickups on order, rocking a set of 51 p pickups on a jazz has an appeal.

I bought an FGN jazz thinking to upgrade the pups. But I’m loving how it plays now. It’s a little quiet on the output, but tone, and playability such as hammer ons and pull offs is just the best I have. Don’t want to mess with it. Sometimes you need to leave things alone

So I regret putting myself in a situation

1 Like

Here’s what I did:
Always wanted a Spector. After settling for lesser basses for years I just bought the bass I wanted. Put the pre and pups I wanted in it. I still buy other basses but I appreciate them rather than wish they were something else.

3 Likes

Blargh. GRS hit me hard yesterday.

For financial reasons, I’m down to one bass: my brand-new Fender Aerodyne PJ. It’s a great bass, I love it. But I got it by trading in the Fender American Dimension HH I mentioned in the first post… I had seen the writing on the wall and figured that if I was going to end up with only one bass, it should be a P, a J, or a P/J.

Anyway, yesterday I woke up with my thoughts bent on that Dimension. Because I’m a creature of impulse, I was this → ← close to packing up the Aerodyne, returning it, and getting the Dimension back.

Luckily, a cooler head prevailed, and I did no such thing. But damn if I wasn’t feeling it.

2 Likes

Man, Tim, you have, like, all the symptoms :sweat_smile: I bet you also suffer from Buyer’s Remorse!?!

It’s not funny, I know… I feel with you. You clearly haven’t found yet what is truly YOUR bass. Give it time… don’t rush it…

OK, Dr. Quackenshrink will now see himself out :wink:

4 Likes

Oh, gads, yeah… I’m a mess.

I’m impulsive, I live for immediate gratification, and I’m never satisfied with what I have. All told that’s a bad combination for a bass player. Any musician, really. Hell, any person, really. :smiley:

I have had some FANTASTIC basses. Instruments that I truly loved and without this curse could have been MY bass and happily played for a lifetime. But… some new shiny caught my eye, and I had to have it, and suddenly those FANTASTIC basses weren’t so fantastic, so I’d buy the new shiny, sell the formerly fantastic bass at a loss, and then regret doing so almost immediately. That’s been my loop for the past two years.

It can be funny. The number of times I’ve said something along the lines of how the new shiny is so awesome and the greatest bass ever and it’s so much better than the formerly fantastic bass is a bit of a hoot. Even I sometimes go back and laugh at the posts I’ve made. But, for instance, there is nothing wrong with my Aerodyne. I have no problems with it. I love playing it, I could play it for the rest of my life. But I’m going to see a new shiny (which might even be a formerly fantastic) and something wonky in my head is going to try to convince me that there actually is something wrong with the Aerodyne, or that it’s not for me, and that something else would be. That’s when it’s not so funny. But that’s my challenge to deal with.

Thanks, Dr. Quackenshrink, for the session. I’ll pay the receptionist on my way out. :smiley:

3 Likes

I already found it for him, it’s a EBMM Stingray Special. He keeps on resisting, but I think by the end of the year it will be a done deal :crazy_face:

7 Likes