Has anyone here made your bass from a kit or from scratch?

When covid hit and I decided to pick up the bass again, I bought a kit and it was the best decision I made in years. I absolutely feel more connected to this instrument than the ones I had when I was younger, though that’s likely maturity as well.

I was a professional woodworker for years and a couple of my coworkers were into scratch builds and now I see why. Once I get a shop set up again, a scratch build may be my first project.

Has anyone else here done a kit or more? What kit? How did the build go? How did you jibe with the wiring?

4 Likes

@juli0r did:

3 Likes

@Mac might be able to share his experience as well :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@Korrigan certainly has, @bast902 . . . :slight_smile:

He’s designed and built several from scratch. . . . you might try a search for some of his posts.

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

I’ve done one Pitbull kit and two Haze kits.( and just ordered another Pitbull kit)
All easy enough with a lot of sanding on the bodies .
The only difference between the two makes is that the Haze involves no soldering .

4 Likes

I build cigar box guitars mainly but I’ve done a few ultra-short scale (25.5") basses from scratch:

And also helped with the development of the MGB Ubass kit:

I highly recommend the Ubass kit. It’s a fun little instrument that you can build at your kitchen table, just supply your own box for the body, and the only power tool you need is a hand drill.

5 Likes

I am about to embark on construction of a body for a medium scale. I have my block of wood, my design shape, my jigsaw and router, my measurements, and am just trying to work up the courage to start cutting.

4 Likes