3 Likes

SR500E all the way for me:

• double humbuckers, way more my style than J/J
  • active/passive
  • very light
  • looks better
  • feels great
  • fantastic neck

biased though as it is very similar to my TRBX604.

4 Likes

Ibanez is in my doghouse for the time being, but I would probably go with the SR500E. It’s light, has a fast neck, better headstock, 3 band EQ. Good pickups too, it’s a winner

How much does the LB20 weigh? They’re not light if I recall

5 Likes

Honestly, I don’t know off the top of my head. It feels about twice the Ibanez, at least.

2 Likes

Hard to say without trying both.
I would probably go team Ibanez but only because that’s what I’m familiar with.
Which gives you the biggest grin when you play it?

4 Likes

4.1kg apparently, around 400g - a pound - more than the Ibanez.

3 Likes

If I could only pick one from the two then it would be the Ibanez.

Ibanez, has great workmanship and robust electronics it’s hard to go wrong.

Why these 2?

4 Likes

I’ve got the SR600E and it is a beautiful instrument. I believe the specs of the 500E are not too different to the 600E, so you’re on a winner. Great neck and just feels comfortable to play, plus you can get many different sounds out of them.

3 Likes

I already have an SR500E and I want a jazz bass too, so I’d choose the Carvin :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The Carvin is a good choice!

3 Likes

I have an Ibanez SR500E that someone converted to fretless and I love it.

3 Likes

They both provide equal grins, thus my coming here for help. :smiley:

The Ibanez is lighter, and a bit easier to play. But the Carvin neck just feels good. The Ibanez is crisp and clean sounding, but sounds a bit too crisp and clean on the high notes. The Carvin sounds a bit better on the high notes, but the bass level is un-proportionally boomy on low notes. So it’s a toss-up.

Because these are the two that I have. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s not a pickup height issue?

3 Likes

Do you really have to get rid of one?
You could always alternatively tune one for certain rock stuff and I honestly enjoy playing a few different basses just to mix things up a bit. I certainly fing some basses favour the style of music I’m playing and the mood I’m in at the time

1 Like

I found a PDF copy of Carvin’s “Maintenance and Adjustments for Carvin Basses” sheet, and I have set the pickup height according to that sheet. That’s not to say that it’s NOT a pickup height issue; I am no guitar tech, so it may still be wrong. But I’m pretty sure it’s at least in the ballpark.

Despite my earlier mentions on the forum of selling the Carvin, I don’t think I’m going to unless someone randomly makes me an offer I can’t refuse.

I’m finding that I’m spending more time switching between the SR500 and the LB20, re-EQing my amp, and adjusting to the differences between the instruments than I am doing lessons or practicing; yesterday I spent 45 minutes switching back and forth between them to figure out which bass I was going to use for a 10 minute BassBuzz lesson.

So I’m trying to settle on one of them as my “main” bass, and figured I’d ask everyone here what their choice would be if they were in my shoes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I say the Ibanez. I’ve got a little SR300 and it’s way versatile

2 Likes

My solution to this problem was to separate my basses. I have my upstairs bass and my downstairs bass. Wherever I want to play dictates which one I play that session.

4 Likes

If I were to start from scratch I would use a P bass. Uncomplicated, and you don’t spend time chasing tone.

I would just pick a bass and go with it. Don’t second guess it because chasing tone is a rabbit hole; don’t go down it

4 Likes

No problem. I have a solution. Get yourself two identical little preamps, set one for the carvin and one for the ibby, and then set your main amp to neutral. Case closed, and you should be no more than $ 300 into the GAS. Easy peasy :smiley:

4 Likes

Hmm. That’s not a bad idea at all.

I have often thought about getting a P bass, but… wait, hold on, let me put on my asbestos armor for the flaming I’m about to get… I just do not like P basses. They’re so ubiquitous and generic, they just don’t do anything for me.

I’m not slamming on P basses; I know that they are fantastic instruments, and they sound great, and I’m not looking for a war (LOL), I’m just not a fan is all.

Hah! Awesome. :slight_smile:

2 Likes