Higher tension short scale strings?

My gretsch junior jet needs some new strings. I am looking for something with a little more sustain, as my Low E just flubs out. Any recommendations?

2 Likes

You just need some medium gauge strings, like GHS Bass Boomers set .107 - .050, or these Stringjoys, or other brands.

Search for medium gauge short scale bass strings, and you’ll find several to choose from.

2 Likes

Thanks man!

2 Likes

I’ve never thought about giving up the more relax tension on my short scale.

1 Like

Short scale with Light-Medium strings are their own vibe.

i want more tension specifically for greater sustain

2 Likes

Gotcha. Never played the Gretch short scale it looks great.

2 Likes

I had one for a while. It sounded great, but the small body ergonomics and really thin neck didn’t work for me. Others love it, though.

I feel that, bought a cheap used short scale once from my local instrument shop, not realising it was (not paying much attention :smile:), sounded awesome, just couldn’t get used to it at all :confused: took it back a couple of days later to exchange. thankfully they’re pretty chill like that there :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Highest tension flats I have played were the RotoSound Monel 77’s. Don’t know if they make them as short scale strings but damn they were really stiff

1 Like

Rotosound RS77S Monel Flatwound Short-Scale Bass Guitar Strings are 40-90. Maybe a thinner gauge because they’re stiff cables? :man_shrugging:

I have the 45-105 standard scale. Stiff as cables but allowed a super low action with no buzzing. Sustain was endless but I preferred my TI Jazz Flats and swapped them.

1 Like

I have two sets, one each of TI Jazz Rounds & Flats, waiting for next string changes. The flats will go on my Cutlass P. The rounds will go on my Jazz-y Mayones at some point, although their lighter gauge might be an issue. I’ll have to see how they fare.

1 Like

Jazz flats will require a little set up tweaking. Jazz rounds will 100% require a complete setup. My Jazz rounds are the best playing and sounding strings I have. They are in a class all of their own.

2 Likes

Yep, understood. Not a problem.

I have a light gauge set of SIT Foundation strings on my hotrod Sire M5. They are very high quality and they sound kickass, but I will get the heavier gauge next time, for sure.

1 Like

I will have to give the TI Jazz rounds a try. I had Jazz flats on one of my fretless basses. I loved the feel of them, but couldn’t vibe with sound.

2 Likes

I listened to several flats shootouts, even some blind comparisons where the string brands weren’t revealed until all had been played.

The TI flats sounded better to me than the other usual suspects, so I figure they’re worth a shot.

I think more that I don’t love the sound of flats, not really It’s fault on that. I replaced them with rounds and I now love the sound of that bass.
The bass I received today has flats on it. I am browsing for their replacements as we speak :slight_smile:
I think I may try the TI rounds on this one.

1 Like

I have been a rounds guy exclusively, but my EBMM Cutlass came with chrome flats and I’ve liked the feel of the combo. This Modern Classic P will be my only bass with flats, so I thought I’d try the ones Carol Kaye swore by throughout her illustrious career. :wink:

1 Like

Just ordered the TI Jazz Rounds short scale set for my 32" Lairat. Hopefully I like them on it. If not, I have a 32" scale fretless that I know they will work well on. Damn those strings are expensive!

1 Like