How do I get this tone?

Criminal World - Bowie

Slowly working my way through this one. Probably a dumb question, but how do I get that tone?

I guess I would describe it as kinda sharp and punchy.

Fender J, active pick ups.

Thank you!!

1 Like

Probably played with a pick… and probably a “modern” bass (i.e., not necessarily a J) - that would be my guess :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I would start by rolling back the neck pickup, and boosting the mids on the EQ, and see what sound you get. I know my Jazz sounds very like a EBMM on just the bridge pup, but I’ve got a more modern pickup setup. Also use a pick, and what strings do you have?

I’ll give it a shot. I’ve seen a few finger covers with that sound online, so I know it’s doable without a pick.

Unknown on strings. It’s a brand new from sweetwater. I looked at the specs, and it just says “fender” under strings.

Thank you!

1 Like

Then they are probably round wounds which is what you want. Fender rounds feel like cheese graters to my fingers, but ymmv. Rounds are what you want in any case, chromes would be better.

You might find this interesting Bowie's Basslines - An Interview with bass player, Carmine Rojas. - from Bowie to Bonamassa / All Guitar Network

1 Like

Sounded like a compressor and very light chorus on the bass too, in that one, and some EQ with a slight scoop. At least that’s how it sounded to me. Common effects for the '80s.

Thank you for that. Sorry for the late response, I was busy navigating the Stevie Ray Vaughn worm hole you opened up for me!! I had no idea. Let’s Dance album on repeat today.

1 Like