How Do I Meet Other Musicians?

How can I meet other musicians with the same taste in genre locally?

5 Likes

Only place I’ve found them is in the mirror.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This is the $64,000 question indeed

11 Likes

I like @Gio’s method.

14 Likes

Been wondering the same thing myself. Was considering setting up something on Meetup. But might get weird quickly lol.

7 Likes

I guess the question goes further for me. If i met other people trying to play music, how would i get over my tremendous fear of social interaction and inevitable failure? These are dark times…

4 Likes

One obvious way to meet musicians with the same taste on a local level is going to a gig of local bands. Apart from the band, there will most likely other musicians in the crowd as musicians know other musicians and tend to support their local scene (hopefully).

Depending on the genre, you might want to go to jams. This might be easier for blues and funk than for other musical genres.

Social media groups might be another way to get to know people that share the same musical taste. There might be even more specific groups for musicians in your area that you could join.

6 Likes

Check out your local music store. Some of them (unfortunately not mine) will have a board where stuff like this can get posted. Also I know of at least one website (https://www.bandmix.com/) that was created just for this.

4 Likes

I second bandmix. Great site to meet local musicians

3 Likes

I auditioned for our local contemporary worship band in church. That might not be everyone’s cuppa tea but you have a gig every Sunday and get to jam with other musicians who might invite you to play with them outside church.

4 Likes

I went to a few social clubs, some of them have jam sessions. Other options are facebook groups (really active, actually), and talking to everybody about playing music.

You might end up sitting on the riverbank, experiencing how hot a black bass guitar becomes in the summer sun and meet a strange guy who wants to write songs based on the little fill you played.

You might meet a professional singer at the guitar center who says she wouldn’t know a bass from a guitar. Or you hang out in a basement practice room with a dude you met at the flea market, and he plays his pro-level album for you with his ex-pro buddies.

Speaking of which, I should go out and jam again, as soon as I’m rid of this cold.

The short answer is: DO it. Go out and talk about making music, you’ll find the jam was in you all along and you just need some new friends to play it. :hugs:

4 Likes

Everyone up my way plays scottish folk. Nothing wrong with that of course, but not my scene :rofl: :rofl: but I’ll worry about that when I feel ready to play live!

1 Like

Such a fun video!
I hadn’t thought of this in a long time, and it brought a big smile to my face.

3 Likes

Area-specific Facebook groups have worked great for me. There’s likely a group called something like “[City-name] Musicians” or “Musicians Wanted” that will have people in your area looking to jam, start bands, etc. A little patience and something up your alley will likely come along. You also usually get a pic and some public info about the person you’re talking to so it’s not as creepy/anonymous as some other sites. Bandmix is good too but you have to pay to message people.

2 Likes

Now I want to go back to Dunoon.

1 Like
3 Likes

This is me and a guy from work providing some entertainment at a recent work event.
It was a couple of days before Xmas and 35C so we were wilting a bit

6 Likes

I love the vibe of your shirts with the Christmas tree. :smiley:

2 Likes

Love how you actually look like your profile picture, only with shorter hair and mustache :joy:

2 Likes

I was growing my hair but in Australian summer heat with very thick hair it becomes impractical.
I will be Stafford Road Man, the frustrated Anglo-Saxon Bassist on the inside

6 Likes

No hate, but I gotta report this. :confused:

1 Like