How do you deal with the feeling of inferiority?

@lee_editorial such an inspiring story mate thanks for sharing. I was kinda unlucky to restart learning the bass in times of lock down. All summer I looked for opportunities to jam with other people but it was super hard between work and the newborn.

Now we’re getting closed back again but I’ll push this idea of dancing over my own music and sharing with others to collaborate in this way!

I hope I can also shake the walls with others next summer!

5 Likes

Good to hear it’s not just me then :joy:

3 Likes

Just happened across this one on my FB feed :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

MIG Streamer LX4 NT. The force is strong with that one :slight_smile:

8 Likes

That is awesome @Krescht but the wording is unacceptable for it is Master Yoda that is holding the bass…

Know the difference between a master and a beginner you want?

Failed master more times than tried ever beginner has…

8 Likes

Indeed it is :joy:

6 Likes

That’s awesome @Krescht :joy:

5 Likes

Sh#T … Was I the only one who read that in Yoda’s voice???

8 Likes

A shredder, he is.

9 Likes

Started early he has

11 Likes

Hey @Fahri : One last thing to keep in mind that I forgot to add to my post…
I have discovered that one of the wonderful things about learning the bass is the ability to play a less than complex version of most songs, and still have fun in the process. Just because you don’t play it the same was as the original, does not necessarily make it wrong. I was reminded of this aspect when I saw Josh’s new video outlining 5 different levels of playing the same song:

I don’t mean to present this as a lazy way of setting the bar low- but I just want to point out that if you can play with clean notes, make the changes at the appropriate moments, and most importantly keep good time with the drummer, it is quite possible to play basic versions of a lot of songs without being a virtuoso.

From the beginning, I have always practiced A LOT with drum tracks when writing riffs just because it is so much more fun. Without realizing it, I was getting better at keeping time and locking in with the beat, for example knowing in my head when a drum fill was coming since patterns seem to be in groups of 4 or 8. I really think that when you start playing with others (especially drums) if you can lock in and keep time, its possible to get away with playing roots and playing basic stuff.

One of the first things my guitarist told me after our first get together: “A lot of guys try to do too much and play too busy- but I really liked what you were doing.” I guess that could be taken the wrong way, but for me that was perfect validation that I could get away with a minimal approach. (and minimal talent, haha!)

5 Likes

That voice in your head? It’s a piece of shit. it has literally done nothing in it’s life except make you feel bad, so feel free to ignore it.

I’m 50 and learning to play. I recorded myself the other day and even though I thought I was doing well, I sounded crap.

That voice in my head wanted me to give up. But I’m not listening to it because as frustrating as it is sometimes, and seeing the mistakes I make and wincing at them, I know I am making progress, and it’s fun.

And it also helps my mental health.

Will I be good enough to play in a band or be a session musician? Who knows? Right now I’m just learning for fun.

10 Likes

Better yet - train your inner voice to be positive and encouraging instead of negative. One has to police oneself but it actually works. Every time you notice thinking something bad like after making a mistake in practice: “I suck.” try to redact it and word it in a positive way: “I can’t do this right now but I am putting in effort to learn it.”. After a while you will have shifted to more positive thoughts on the matter.

After reading through my post an idea came to mind: Train your inner voice to be like Josh :smiley:

10 Likes

I actually really find it helpful to laugh at my stupid mistakes and then try to better it next time @juli0r.
I do get frustrated with my playing too , don’t get me wrong I get quite grouchy about it but realistically there’s little point in beating myself up about it ( I have enough issues going on in my head without adding extra pressure).

9 Likes

Nice. :+1:

7 Likes

This morning I had this illumination about the subject. I think there is also a parallel to this with what I am feeling…

We have been “programmed” to be great at everything we do or not do them at all…

7 Likes

was just reading a reddit AMA fromt he Bassist of Avril Lavigne and thought it might fit here well

Here’s the full AMA:

5 Likes

I love that analogy thanks!

This also fits amazingly with what @lee_editorial was saying

7 Likes

@enkhiel

Thanks for posting that Reddit link. Very cool hearing details from a bass session/touring pro- and I loved the question about “Impostor Syndrome.” That term fits in great with my feelings of sometimes being a bass fraud!

6 Likes

I think you shouldn’t compare, I am not doing that myself. Having in mind that they are always more talented people to do whatever, even if you think are the greatest, you will find always greater people than you as well; you have to think that we all have different situations, different timings, different purposes and different skills and all of this stuff is making us unique too. So my advice is to continue your pathway no matter what, don’t stop learning all the time, trying to do your best always and also, celebrate the talent on others. And like Bowie used to say, take the best of the others and make it yours but with your own signature. I hope this helps you mate. :smiley:

7 Likes