How do you deal with the feeling of inferiority?

I could have written Fahri’s lament! The way I cope with it is simply by continuing to press forward, regardless. Micro goals, as someone here said. Knowing that in a few years time, if I continue to press on, I’ll have moved the needle. Will I be Pino Paladino or Carol Kaye? No. Will I keep having fun playing with my band and will I improve? Yes. Will I have learned a new skill that challenges my memory circuits and develops new ones, improves my brain-hand coordination, teaches me a little musicianship and a brand new language? Yes. Will I have expanded my connections with diverse people and with the universe? Yes. Will I enjoy myself along the way? Yes. These are the reasons I’m playing the bass.
And now, practice time…:blush:

3 Likes

I resonate a lot with this as well and I know it for a fact that my thoughts of inferiority could as well be simply part of a defense mechanism of my neurological system not knowing how to coop with all these new pathways…

3 Likes

Exactly! Creating new circuits (and heating injured ones) requires a lot of persistence. And the “leave me alone, stop asking me to do new stuff” circuits are very strong and recalcitrant. They need to be tamed. Yet the brain is flexible, and the experts say it stays flexible at all ages. So press on, find your inner goat! :blush:

5 Likes

Fahri, I have three points for you.

1. Eddy van Halen said reporters would always ask him what hobbies he had growing up. He said are you kidding me, I sat in my bedroom practicing guitar.
    Only youth has the time for that kind of dedication…
    2)I’m a professional timber cutter. Last week I tried to turn a veneer white oak( so I could spare a couple of trees) but the hinge popped before I was done . Several hundred dollars vanished. I survived but depression ruled for a couple days. The point even when your good you can fail.
  2. Your a better bass player than me.
6 Likes

Sorry guys but I personally feel enough oxygen and time has been spent on this thread. No one needs to feel “inferior” and everyone is learning, that’s why we’re here, … to learn. Enough!

3 Likes

I used to play bass in local bands in my 20’s and thirty’s, I’m now 71. I just got a wild hair about 2 months ago, and bought a bass and amp. I signed up for Josh’s B2B. I’m struggling with arthritis in my hands and thinking I’m just not smart enough to learn again. I remembered to just have fun.

12 Likes

That’s the ticket :slight_smile:

Welcome aboard

5 Likes

Welcome to the community @slick621!

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum and to the bass world @slick621.

Keep in mind, my first bass was a gift to myself on my 70th birthday. You’re never too old.

9 Likes

Welcome aboard @slick621,
You have come to the right place for some fun.
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @slick621 !

You’re not alone. I played in a working bar band in the early 70’s, gave it up for 45 years until a few months ago when I found myself stuck at home with time on my hands.

It’s truly amazing how much I’ve forgotten. :worried:

As others have said, the goal is to have fun.

8 Likes

Thanks Spidey I’m glad I’m not alone!

6 Likes

Wow, @spidey9 . . . just substitute “February 2019” for “a few months ago” and you’ve described me perfectly . . .

I know I’m not alone here either :wink:

Cheers, Joe

7 Likes

Just remember that everyone was once a beginner…even Geddy Lee.

8 Likes

Great to see you here having a go @slick621. I’m sure you’ll have fun playing and if you haven’t noticed yet, there’s a great community here to support you in your bass journey.

6 Likes