How do you hold your bass when sitting?

@kwt7667 Can’t go wrong with a drum throne: adjustable height, no arms to get in the way, etc. That’s what I use, and so does @JoshFossgreen. I rarely sit while practicing, but when I do, the drum throne comes in handy.

7 Likes

hi pam i hope all is well i am a " c" position because i have been learning to slap and i can hit that 11 oclock position more consistently and bounce from the tip to 1st knuckle in that space between the string giving me that punch off the string i hope this makes sense awesome topic maam!

3 Likes

I like it. Looks sturdy!

3 Likes

No one mentioned laying it on your lap Jeff Healey style…

Mark Smith from talking bass promotes position C as anyone tried this?

1 Like

I think a lot of people in here actually use position C, which is kind of the classical guitar position. Fusion ace Hadrien Feraud is also playing like this; it certainly seems to give better access to the upper registers.

I use D,E because of injury I have. Lot easier to reach higher notes and all over the fretboard.

I use the Gator deluxe guitar seat.

1 Like

I find it impossible to play while sitting. The space between my thighs and my chin is so short, the bass is too high and comes so close to my chin I feel like I’m playing accordion; and to make it worse, the bottom of the bass slides out on my thighs and ends up laying flat in my lap. I’ve tried drum throne, tall chair, short chair, bar stool… nothing works for me. I don’t know how anyone plays while sitting.
Standing works much better for me. I have my strap adjusted so that the bass is in a comfortable playing position just below belt level.

1 Like

My sitting position would be an A.

I always use a Neotech Mega 4" padded strap. Very comfortable but not the cheapest ($40-$50).
One of the best tidbits of information I received about straps was to adjust the strap so that whether sitting or standing the Bass is in the same position.

For a chair, I think anything armless would do the trick. I use a cheapo padded folding chair from Walmart that only cost about $19.00. I looked at drummer’s thrones but they were too pricey. Mechanics stools are similar, and a little cheaper, but all seem to be vinyl/plastic covered because of the greasy environment.

2 Likes

I am kinda A/C I think, or at least try.
My PC/desk chair has flip up arms (for sax and bass playing ease).
I have always practiced and played sax sitting. Sometimes I will go across the room and stand and try but the entire balance of a sax is different standing, which is why I started seated on bass. I don’t mind standing and playing now much at all.

Its just easier to practice, or if i want to bang out a quick 50s100w tune i may still sit, but standing for covers going forward.!

3 Likes

A.

2 Likes

I’m definitely an A.

I bought this stool when I first got started:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GFWGtrSeat--gator-frameworks-gfw-gtr-seat-guitar-seat-stand-combo

I liked the stand feature, which worked well as long as I only had one bass.

Which wasn’t for very long. :roll_eyes:

With multiple basses it always seemed that the one I wanted to play was not the one on the seat/stand, so I’d have to shuffle basses around before I could play.

Now I have a multi-bass stand and the seat stand stays tucked away.

I always use a strap. The seat on the stool/stand is 27" high so I cannot really rest the bass on my knee. The position of the bass when I’m sitting is very close to when I’m standing. I can stand up or sit down while playing and (usually) not miss a beat.

3 Likes

B.

It’s the most comfortable for me and what my instructor recommended. I bought a gaming chair with elevating arms - they swing up and out of the way. When I’m seated at the desk the arms are down and I’m at a height comfortable for working at the computer.

When I’m practicing the arms are up and out of the way. The chair is set for maximum height and my right foot is on a foot stand.

3 Likes

I started out with C and switched to A.
For some stuff I still tend to go into the C position, but primarily, I use A.

If you have problems with the shoulder, I found that moving the neck a bit more in front helps.
Especially if one has a bit of a “nerd back”, that is when you are used to sit a lot and the shoulders slump forward.

Try this: stand upright and let your arms hang. Where do your hands end up? On the sides? You have good posture. A bit to the front, turning a bit inwards? Your shoulders aren’t where they belong, they should move further back. This is not only a common issue for people that are sitting a lot, but also for body builders who are doing too much for the chest and neglect the back.

1 Like

I sit on a high stool to replicate standing. More option D than the others.

2 Likes

I use the unorthodox E position but with the bass held between my legs rather than sitting on a chair. If I play more “orthodox”, I get wrist cramps when playing about the 7th fret and a hard time getting my pinky to the E string. Having a more vertical allows me a nuetral handposition and doesn’t require me to “shift” the bass depending upon what register I am playing in.

2 Likes

A for me.

Like @JPHaggerty I have a gaming chair that has adjustable arms that can swing away.
When I purchased the gaming chair chair I also took the back and arms off my old computer chair.
This is fine but I do not use it much anymore.

I also have a mechanics seat that I use and it works quite well.

Note: When I first started Bass at the beginning of 2021 one of the best technique tips I learned was to always use a strap whether sitting or standing and adjust it so that the Bass does not change position when you stand up from a sitting position.

3 Likes

If I did that, the top of the bass would be practically rubbing against my chin. I might as well just switch to accordion.
I set my strap as long as it will go and let the bass hang at or just below my beltline. That is the most comfortable playing position for me. I simply cannot play while sitting, which is fine with me. Bass players are meant to stand while they play.

1 Like

Not sure I’d agree with this @PamPurrs - Pam. Kinda like saying that piano and keyboard players are meant to sit while they play…

There are many bass players, guitar players, etc who play sitting…. Many disabled vets and others in wheelchairs kinda have to…

Sit, stand,… doesn’t matter as long as you’re comfortable playing in whatever position you might choose that works for you…

For me, I practice and play both standing and sitting. Hell, who knows, there might come a day when I too end up in a chair……

When sitting I never use a strap (even though we’re told that we should). When standing I do have my bass hanging a lot lower than it is when I play sitting down.

I find that when I practice and play in both standing and sitting positions, my bass is never in the same location so I kinda just train myself to play the thing either way.

5 Likes

I only say that because I’ve never been to a concert at which the bass player is sitting in a chair (unless it’s an upright).
I understand about disabled people, vet or non-vet not having a choice. Those are some amazing people and they always come up with innovated ways to play sports, music etc. If I’m ever confined to a chair, I’m sure I’ll find a way, but for now standing is the most natural position. Sitting while playing bass just feels weird to me, not to mention trying to keep the bass from sliding down my thighs LOL.

1 Like