How do you hold your bass when sitting?

I have been to a few. There are some amazing New Orleans players who sit.

Surely not the norm, but they are there

2 Likes

Itā€™s mostly C for meā€¦. I still change often, mostly to B, but not as much as when I startedā€¦. Iā€™ve played standing and itā€™s quite comfortable but it doesnā€™t work with my setup to follow the course on the PC

1 Like

I couldnā€™t play while sitting even if I wanted to. I just donā€™t have the right body shape. I think you need a really long abdomen (space between thighs and chin) to play sitting down. I can barely fit the bass into that space.

1 Like

I discovered that using a strap, whether sitting or standing has a great advantage in the fact that you need very little, if any, thumb pressure on the back of the neck with your fretting hand.

1 Like

Most of the NOLA players I see sitting are super sort and super heavy. I think the gut affords another dimension for the bass to exist while sitting.

2 Likes

E when I get excited.

1 Like

Probably mostly F when it comes to upper body posture. Legs sometimes crossed so the bass sits further up. Need a hat.

3 Likes

:+1: (Beanie at a mimimum :joy: )

1 Like

You missed Leon Redbone then, he was an original. He was so laid back in concert, the music flowed like molasses. He was great.

Or Doc Watson. Iā€™ve seen a lot of the greats, or at least famous, in my time, but no one impressed me more than Doc. Best man with a pick I ever saw.

For the record, I am disabled, can only stand for so long, I play in the C shape, itā€™s very natural, and I find fretting much easier standing. And I have a long torso, or short legs, however you want to look at it

2 Likes

No, I didnā€™t miss Leon Redbone when he was alive, but I miss him now. I have lots of his stuff on CD. He has a great history, and was a very interesting man, and yes, very laid back. However Iā€™m fairly certain he never played bass.

1 Like

Nope, he didnā€™t, but his bassist in back sat. I miss Leon too, wish there were more like him

2 Likes

For what itā€™s worth (and since this thread seems to have gotten a bit of a second wind :grin:), here is how I like to sit in the rehearsal room:

7 Likes

Nice room! Iā€™m drooling over some of the gear haha. Seems you got a good posture. Think a straight back is super important. I tend to go foward with my head.

2 Likes

Wellā€¦ I am posing for a picture :joy: When playing, I am pretty sure I lean forward as well, if only to keep an eye on that fretboard :grin:

That Ampeg stack isnā€™t mineā€¦ but I am using the cab here :smile:

3 Likes

Oh I donā€™t mind the Bergantino amp and UA pedals either :joy:

3 Likes

:wink: :joy:

2 Likes

I finished the B2B course sitting in position A mostly, but Iā€™ve been finding that I canā€™t play well above the 12th fret that way. Iā€™ve been using position C since sometime last year. Iā€™m pretty sure thatā€™s Janek Gwizdala in the C photo. Iā€™d never seen his videos so I didnā€™t know he played that way, but I had been trying exercises in his book and naturally adopted the C position in order to play them. (Itā€™s jazzy scales and arpeggios up the entire fretboard, above my level anyway). When not sitting on a drum stool or the edge of a recliner, I like to wander the house and back yard with a headphone amp.

2 Likes

Yep, thatā€™s Janek! Could also have used Hadrien Feraud for thatā€¦ maybe that is preferred by players who play a lot above the 12th!?

Haha, sneaking in on unsuspecting family members with a bass and earphones sounds like fun :rofl:

2 Likes

not to mention trying to keep the bass from sliding down my thighs LOL.

3 Likes

What the hell is that? LOL

2 Likes