How is the weather?

Well good news, I had a worm of robins outside my window which always means warmer weather is a few weeks away. At least here. Some other generic brown birds too also looking for worms.

4 Likes

9am and it past 30C, severe storm warning (again) for later

4 Likes

Less than an inch of basically ice here from slushy crapola. Another 2-3 coming tomorrow.

Which I am totally fine with as a vendor of mine is in Hamburg, NY (just south of Buffalo) and now had 6 feet!

4 Likes

Weather here was around 75 degrees fahrenheit today.

3 Likes

I have a sister who lives in Buffalo, and one that lives in Alexandria Bay just north of Watertown. A-Bay gets more snow, Buffalo complains more. And neither is close to Oswego in snowfall.

I am farther north in latitude than A-Bay, but my winters are mostly 50ish. Climate is funny. I am about as far north as you can get in the lower 48.

Will retire that way in a few years

2 Likes

Iā€™m from UpState NYā€¦Near Utica where it can get the blasts of cold from the North. I moved to Charlotte, NC in 96 and wonā€™t lieā€¦I miss the first couple days of snow but after that nope. It still was 27F today with a high of 50ā€¦completely doable. Stay warm Bass friends!

3 Likes

We just endured days of a low of 16F in Austin, which is damn cold for us. Luckily, there was no precipitation to deal with.

But our inept Texas power grid is apparently held together with spit and chewing gum, so a multi-day frigid blast like the one we just had strikes fear in our collective heart.

I realize folks from considerably colder climes might get a chuckle out if this, but itā€™s nonetheless a thing for us who are more used to dealing with hot temperatures than with cold ones.

3 Likes

Rest assured, no more snow next week :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Didnā€™t Austin had the same issues a few years ago? You would think they would act on that and make it more reliable :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Iā€™m in Oslo. I donā€™t mind the cold too much

but I hate having to clear the snow. And Iā€™m running out of places to put it!

8 Likes

Finally snow in Croatia.

3 Likes

Also very snowy here in the south of the Netherlands (Maastricht).

6 Likes

In one of the warmest cities of Germany - first time that we had real snow in five years, I think.
:snowman_with_snow:

I shoveled snow because I had to work from home and needed a workout. :joy:

5 Likes

@antonio - is that Cologne? If so: <3

1 Like

Almost, itā€™s the little sister Bonn. :hugs:

3 Likes

Ah, Bonn. The sleepy little sister of cool Cologne ^^

(I lived in Cologne for about 12 yearsā€¦)

3 Likes

Currently 2:20pm and 4Ā°C in Ireland. It was -2 when I went to practice this morning. This is generally about as cold as it ever gets here and I would be very sad living somewhere colder.

In two weeks Iā€™m playing bass at an outdoor gig. Bought myself some fingerless gloves so my hands donā€™t fall off.

4 Likes

Ahh, bordering on maybe wearing a hoodie :joy:

Looks so peaceful there :slightly_smiling_face:

About the same, hopefully the hands donā€™t fall off lol bass wonā€™t be much fun without them :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, during the Covid lockdown, we endured several days of a crippling winter storm we called the Snowpocalypse.

We historically have mild winter temperatures in the vast majority of Texas, but the Snowpocalypse brought Austin 7Ā°F ice and snow weather that knocked out electrical power and caused a mandatory boil notice of our drinking water for days. Millions of Texans were affected, suffering frozen water pipes, crippling cold and no ability to heat homes.

My family was lucky. We lost power for 28 hours but we never lost our natural gas service. As it happened, the weather forecast warnings before the storm caused me to purchase a fireplace kit for our house. All the big box stores were sold out completely, but I found an upscale family-owned store that sold expensive artificial log kits. I did the plumbing and installed the kit right before the storm hit, and our fireplace saved us. It was still very cold in our 2-story house, but we huddled together in our living room with the two very young puppies we had recently brought home.

That said, Texas politics has been garbage for many years, and the ERCOT power grid is a cesspool of cronyism that keeps us in power loss peril when the weather gets either very cold or very hot.

The Texas power grid failed miserably back then, which is why we experienced PTSD this last week. I know our winter temps pale in comparison to other cities and countries, but our houses and power infrastructure are not designed or built to withstand what to us is severe cold temperatures. :cold_face:

5 Likes

Weā€™re getting some delightful lake effect snow right now. I got the xc skis out and Iā€™m waxing them now and looking forward to some outdoor winter sports.

Unfortunately itā€™s going to be mid 40s+ F and raining next week and all the snow will go away.

2 Likes