How much $ do you spend on bass?

thought this may be fun: how much money do you spend on bass every year (average) and/or in total so far? this includes stuff like basses, gear, lessons, etc…

i’m wondering if i am spending way too much… or way too little. :joy:

4 Likes

I think you’re in the wrong place to ask this question, or at least a very dangerous one :joy:
Personally, since last august it’s been the 300 euro starter pack (thank you Thomann), B2B (a bit less than) 200 euro, 65 euro for tabs website, 90 euro for an Ariane Cap online course, about 100 euro in other books/music sheet, 240 euro for the lessons until July. That’s about 1000 euro, but it skyrocketed with the purchase of a Markbass Head + Warwick cab last week :joy:
And a second cab might be coming soon to fully exploit the power of the new amp (damn electronics). But first I have to visit the GAS thread…

2 Likes

If you’re wondering if you’ve spent way too little, you ain’t spent enough. :kissing:

In general, I’ve spent quite a bit since signing up for this course. A lot more than some; a hell of lot less than a few. But I’m good with it. I’m not GAS’ing anymore, since I got a bass I love more than my others. Practicing is a priceless joy. So, net net, my bass journey is a thing of beauty.

2 Likes

so far starting from zero i am in for about US $1500 - which includes 2 basses (one modded), B2B, amp, strings, stands, cables, pedals, strap, etc… think i am going to try and tone that down a bit for the next year (but we all know that won’t happen).

2 Likes

I am about $3,000.00 in between basses, amps, effects processors, TI strings, stands, books, Josh’s course. And probably about to drop for a new G&L or EB Bongo.

2 Likes

edited the original to say per year and/or in total - that might be even more illuminating.

2 Likes

After buying and selling until I settled on my current gear, way too much!

2 Likes

…a lot less than I spend on sax…
I do know the number, as I have everything in an app for insurance purposes.
But that’s all I am sayin’

5 Likes

8 Likes

The Count can help :rofl:

4 Likes

Me: a whole lot more on music in general than on bass.

For bass, I’ve done awesome on resale, including turning a profit a few times, which keeps me down to near only the cost of my current gear. I’m sure I am under $2000 total for instruments, and probably under $1500, after owning seven total over time, three now.

Music gear in total: much more :slight_smile:

4 Likes

you just beat 47 of us to it.

4 Likes

Probably $2000 - 3 basses, practice amp, two guitar stands, mic stand, Focusrite DI, cables, straps/strap locks, gig bag, coupla cheap pedals, Moises subscription…and B2B, of course

3 Likes

Yeah I didn’t attempt to count other gear… I was over $1500 into pedals but sold reasonably so maybe $500 down there; lost about $25 on my amp; $300 audio interface; $200 monitors; $180 into mics or so; $300 into MIDI controller; well over $1k into plugins, hopefully under $2k but not sure. Could easily be more.

2 Likes

Totally get why - your music-creating interests span much further than mine! For now. I am merely a bass player, not the entire recording studio. :grin:

1 Like

According to what I told my wife just a few hundreds may be a thou, max the rest is through generosity of trade, lol.

6 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

A few hundreds, maybe a thou, you know, here and there…

2 Likes

Well, I started in 2019…

2019: 1 Squier PJ Bass $250
2020: Built a custom PJ from parts, Fender Rumble 40, $1,200
2021: Bought a Jazz Bass neck, $250
2022: $0 so far!

I guess I am in for $1,700 plus say $200 for a tuner and some cables

GT= $1,900

1 Like

Early in my GASsing career, I only gas the same or similar basses as my wife can’t tell the difference, lol. It’s a big hush when I buy a $3000+ bass but I made a big deal every time I made a sale no matter how small. Lol.

2 Likes