How to Learn Bass Scales (Become a Better Bassist, Not a Robot)

@JoshFossgreen This lesson is so good, it feels like it should be lessons #110.

Thanks a lot for this. I’ve been sick and haven’t been able to play for over 23 days and this was just what I needed to ease me back in as I recuperate. I played Blackbird today and it was inspiring, to say the least.

9 Likes

Ugh, that sounds awful, @eric.kiser - in fact it sounds like the title of a (bad) horror flick…

Get well soon!!

4 Likes

Thanks @joergkutter!
A couple more weeks and I should be able to get back at it on the lessons. :+1:

6 Likes

Sorry to hear that, @eric.kiser . . . :frowning:

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery! . . . :+1:

All best, Joe

4 Likes

Aww man, sending healing vibes your way - that’s too long to be without your bass - get well soon - you’re one of the best forum dudes around & we need you back in action with the bass playing!!

3 Likes

Yeah, hope you’re feeling better!

2 Likes

@Jazzbass19 @Vik @howard
Thanks all. Soon enough I’ll be back in action. :+1:

1 Like

One of the first, and still one of my favourite tunes I learnt in my teens. “Stir it up.” Bob Marley and the Wailers. So simple yet so effective.

5 Likes

Sending out the vibes from U.K.! :guitar::metal:

1 Like

I’m looking forward to your witty comments on the forum :beers:

2 Likes

@muff and @PamPurrs Thank you and thanks to everybody for the kind words. It is appreciated.

1 Like

What happened to you Eric?
As a new member I’m not aware of all that is going on.

@Mark_D It’s very nice of you to ask. I have a disease called MS (Multiple Sclerosis).

Part of starting to play Bass again was to see how it interacted with the MS. It was going much better than expected until I hit the half way point in the lessons and I had a relapse which shut down my ability to play.

On the upside, since I was able to see the changes in my playing, I was able to catch it early and start on a round of medication which should cut my recovery time down from 2 months to about 1 month. So, I should be back at it in about a week. :+1:

9 Likes

Fingers crossed, man! That is a tough one!!

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear you have that Eric, but it’s good to hear you’ll soon be back playing

2 Likes

Sincerely, thank you, to everybody. All of your kind words are greatly appreciated.

When I finish the course I plan to write out a retrospective about how music and MS fit together for me and everything I learned that might help someone else in the same situation. So, I will eventually come back to it.

For now though, I am a little embarrassed because I really didn’t mean to take over this thread and I really was just trying to let Josh know how perfectly timed that video was and how much I appreciated it. My apologies to Josh for taking things off the rails.

6 Likes

I think I speak for a few here Eric, It’s all good! It’s just a siding, not a derailment… Be very interested know the retrospective when you get to it.

2 Likes

@eric.kiser we are sort of a family here. I for one, and I’m sure the others want to know how you’re doing. I knew about your MS from reading your bio. I’m glad you’re winning the battle.

3 Likes

You doing alright, bro? Hope you’re back in action with your bass playing?

2 Likes

Thanks for asking Vik. Yes, I am back at it. 71/109 done and still plugging away. :+1:

7 Likes