How to Play Bass With a Pick (from an ex-Pick Hater)

I’m not sure what you mean by that. A triplet is comprised of three notes of equal duration played in the span of one beat in a measure.

For example, in 4-4 tempo, a quarter note is played in one beat; two eighth notes are played in one beat; the three notes of a triplet are played in one beat; and four sixteenth notes are played in one beat.

3 Likes

He means exactly what he said and his definition is correct.

Eighth note triplets behave like both you and he described; three eighth notes played in the span of two normal ones, or one beat.

However these are far from the only triplets; sixteenth note triplets, for example, are three sixteenth notes played in the space of two, or one half beat. Quarter note triplets are three quarter notes played in the span of a half note. And so on.

To further complicate it, triplets are not the only tuplet :slight_smile:

11 Likes

2 Likes

A traplet!

8 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Yeah, I know how tuplets are written and counted. But since B2B is a beginner-oriented course that introduces bass students to the fundamentals of music theory, the most basic way to play an eighth note triplet in 4/4 is to count it as the equivalent duration of a single beat in a measure.

I was taught to count it as tri-pa-let, but there are myriad ways to count a basic triplet. For example, in 4/4 tempo, four eighth-note triplets in a measure could be counted as:

1-trip-let, 2-trip-let, 3-trip-let, 4-trip-let

A fundamental illustration of how to count different notations in a single 4/4 measure would be: one quarter note, two eighth notes, three triplet notes, four sixteenth notes, or:

1 -, 2-and, 3-trip-let, 4-e-and-ah

Writing, reading, and counting tuplets can get confusing quickly, but common occurrences and usages of triplets can be straight-forward and relatively easy to grasp. That said, a theoretical tuplet rabbit hole awaits those with sufficiently girded loins. :rabbit:

1 Like

I briefly considered that and decided no to go there :joy:

4 Likes

Fyi… for anyone else with sausage fingers, give the dunlop triangle tortex picks a try…also cut up credit cards/old driver’s liscenses work good for large triangle picks

2 Likes

Great video. Just now got around to watching. Picking is something I definitely need to work on more often as it’s my preferred tone. It just brings out so much more character and intricacies from all variables (pedals, pickups, tone, plucking location…)

3 Likes

I’ve found pick playing gives me a much “cleaner” sound which I really like. Very hard to get started with it though. But I’m up to about 90% pick playing at gigs now. Still working on my ghost notes and speed with a pick.

I use a 3mm Big Stubby pick btw.

4 Likes

Because I played at guitar for many years, picking is something that just seems natural although I rarely play the bass with a pick. But when I do, it just sorta flows.

3 Likes

I have some 2mm Big Stubbies. I really like them.

3 Likes

5 Likes

am i the only one that holds a pick like this? i used to think everyone did, it’s the only way that’s comfortable for me.

5 Likes

Same pretty much for me.
The ‘right way’ never feels right for me.

3 Likes

me too

2 Likes

I thought the right way was what works for you

1 Like

Not me.

The tip of my pick is always inline with my index finger, which is at a right angle to my thumb. Learned from decades of playing guitar.

My index finger might not look straight in the pic, but I’m bending its fingertip at the first joint so it’s at a 90° angle to my thumb, supporting the pick except for its tip. This makes for a solid grip so dropping the pick doesn’t happen.

3 Likes

Pick at right angles to thumb for me.
I’ve just tried it as per your picture and it places my wrist at a very uncomfortable angle.
But then, we’re all built differently!

2 Likes

I hold it Paul Gilbert style for maximum shredness! :metal:

3 Likes