How to Play Bass With a Pick (from an ex-Pick Hater)

this seems to be the “preferred” way according to … umm … the pick gods or whatever

2 Likes

this ^^^ is why i think you aren’t supposed to do it like i do. it does tend to cock your wrist (a little) more.

1 Like

Keeping the wrist straight, the hand parallel to the strings, and the pick perpendicular to the strings is a very efficient way to pick a guitar or bass. The wrist remains able to pivot naturally for fluid up and down string picking.

Still, use whichever grip that feels best and most easily allows you to pick accurately.

2 Likes

When I started playing with a pick, I held it similar to how you are holding the pick (your middle finger is also touching the pick, so you kinda hold it with three fingers, right?)

I felt this was holding me back speed wise, so I trained to use the more “traditional” way of holding the pick. And I am faster that way.

But I later found out that the three finger grip is what James Hetfield is using. So I am wondering if I should have sticked to holding it that way. Maybe I would be a downpicking god by now. :rofl:

2 Likes

I hold my picks the way I did as a guitar player. With just the tip hanging out. I also tend to use Dragon Heart picks for the most part.

3 Likes

This is how I hold it. It’s a shape the hand naturally assumes, a bit like fretting hand posture but compacted for adequate grip of the plectrumic object.

3 Likes

that’s fine how you all hold your pick. I’m doing worst, really.

4 Likes

I sometimes catch myself doing weird shit with how I hold picks. Like, I’ll flick my wrist “out” which puts me out of position to alternate pick on the upstroke quickly/efficiently. But the weirdest is the little “wiggle” I do with my index finger and thumb :joy: like, I’m leading this bizarre dance with the music and this motion. Not all the time, sometimes I can finally get a grip on it and go hard/fast.

And sometimes the pick starts rotating and I can tell when I’m about to drop it.

I don’t know why I’m like this :rofl:

1 Like

That happens to me all the time, I hate it.

2 Likes

I tweeted at Andy James about how slippery/slick his (and John Petrucci) signature picks were and questioned whether he used them or not, he said yes and basically called me an oily weirdo :joy:

…that said I use the Dunlop flows that have texture on them vs the smooth ones. I have a lot less problem with them moving around. Could be that sometimes due to the angle I’m hitting the strings slightly sideways so there’s more pressure to try and rotate it.

2 Likes

After a lot of frustration with normal sized picks I started using the big triangle Tortex picks. That helped a lot, having a bigger surface to hold on to. Now that I’m more comfortable using picks I’ve been using the standard shape again and having less problems. I like the Dunlop Flow, but I can’t find them in .60 so I’ve been using the Tortex .60 and the Big Stubby 1.0 and the Flow .73

2 Likes

That’s often how it goes with new pick users. Bigger picks seem like the best way to play, until…nope.

2 Likes

as far as I know, .73 is the thinnest Flow you can get. I got some thinner Jazz XL style picks from Stringjoy recently that are .50, and they have a .60 as well (orange).

3 Likes

I’ll have to check them out.

1 Like

I held it this way on guitar for years and it worked well for me. Eventually dropped the habit to free up my middle finger for hybrid picking. Think James Hetfield does this and he’s pretty much the god of downpicking.

3 Likes

This is awesome, i am still super new, but I think I would be more comfortable playing with a pick, do you also have a tutorial for picking I should just redo the tutorial with a pick. dont hate… I liked your video though on picking… just needs some guidance.

1 Like

I’m no expert, but I started at the beginning, and when Josh says “index”, I do a downstroke, and when he says “middle” I do an upstroke.

3 Likes

Sounds great! Ill start with that, txs a lot much appreciated. :smile:

1 Like