How to play ghost/dead/muted notes?

I am not sure this belongs in technique. It may belong into Theory. Probably a bit of both because I want to know what technique to use when reading sheet music:

At the beginning there are notes but crossed out and as far as I know you play these while plucking a muted string. Now there’s different ways to mute a string and when someone tells me to play a ghost/dead/muted note I would just mute the string and pluck.
Now I noticed that the X on the sheet music has a pitch and I would assume the correct way to play it is to mute the string but still fret the note so you get the right frequency/pitch but muted.
Now on guitar with strumming I would use palm muting for that. I read in another thread that palm muting for bass exists (why wouldn’t it) but I guess the hand position is different.

What do I do on bass when using the alternate plucking technique with resting thumb?
Is there anything obvious I’m missing?

P.S: This is part of the sheet music the band sent me. There are too many 16th with pauses and switches to 8th overall for my taste at my current skill.
Maybe good to get forced out of the comfort zone though.

Yes - there was.
I feel so stupid.
I have more than one finger on my left hand to do more things than just fretting. Meaning I can fret and use another finger to mute and just pluck like normal.
Welp…

2 Likes

Found this post:

Haven’t watched the video that’s in it yet :wink:

3 Likes

@juli0r
I still stand by this!

They are ghost notes.
Sounded as rhythms, but not as pitches.

4 Likes

Yes, thanks.
I’m watching the SBL video you linked once. Dead notes on 1st fret sound the same as the ones on 7th so yeah. I was overthinking. Back to practice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah, yes, I’ve associated them with drums, but never occurred to me that they would be used for notation for ghost notes on a bass or guitar. Then again, I am a bit slow… :laughing:

3 Likes

That’s not the impression I got. The pitch seems to vary depending on where you place your fingers to mute the string :thinking:

2 Likes

Ah, yeah. Those look the same, right. Here’s the full sheet of that part incl. drums and guitar:

Don’t know what’s happening in the tab there for the 15th bar but… I don’t really care :smiley:

1 Like

Maybe it’s clearer when I test it out for myself instead of watching a video. Although I was using my (good) headphones.
Needs to be studied further :nerd_face:

1 Like

+1 on this… Nothing special, nothing difficult. Just lift your finger when plucking the string. It’s not science - it’s music…

4 Likes