Shall I contact this band?

19-26years old. So I guess something like that.
As said I don’t mind. I contacted them and am waiting for a response. I don’t know how much they check/update on this platform so… we’ll see.

6 Likes

It should not be a problem. Being a 62 year old developer, I am perfectly familiar with people being at least 20 years younger than I am myself.

Some 5 years ago, a colleague said, literally “you are older than my dad, but I never notice it!”

9 Likes

Getting more and more common in software development, which (like writing) can easily be productively done until you drop dead. As long as you can think and type you’re good, as long as you can keep your ego in check and actually listen to designers and product managers about things you’re no longer in the demographic for yourself.

5 Likes

Just remember 1 thing @juli0r,
Roots, fifths and octaves.
Can’t go wrong :+1:
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

So far my money is on “one of the guitarists played the bass and they did the fits-all solution of mimicing the guitar rythm while playing roots”. At least for the song I listened closer to. So in that regard I think I’m safe :smiley:

5 Likes

BAM!
14.07. band practice.
Practice room very reachable with public transport
They’ll send me notes for the written songs so I can practice before!

Thanks again for all the encouragement. It really helped me. In theory I knew everything you said but in practice doubt often wins out. So without some assurance by you guys this would have been a great opportunity missed.

15 Likes

Good man :+1: Enjoy :wink:

5 Likes

Yes. In my experience, you’ve got to network and play with as many musicians as possible.

5 Likes

Awesome! I’m so excited to hear how this goes!

6 Likes

Haha, now I am picturing you as Rainn Wilson in the movie “The Rocker”

Funny movie

And it is awesome @juli0r, you are doing it my friend, so cool. So proud of you.

One day I may do it, but will be like 22 years older. Lol

5 Likes

What was that again? Best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. Second best time is now.

I’m starting to get cold feet! :smiley: It’s only a week by now and the songs are still a little bit too hard for me to play cleanly. I got the 16ths with rests down, I got the 16ths chugging on 90bpm down and now and what’s kind of left is the rythm including muted/ghost/dead notes.
X-X-F#-X-X-F#-X-F#-X-X-E-X-X-E-X-E
16ths on 90bpm.

I’m having trouble doing that in veeeeeeeeery slow still.
As I asked for notes to practice I’m not sure what they are expecting. Probably best to just say how it is and where I’m at with practicing and what I can and can’t do right now. Just wanted to vent because I got a bit frustrated with the muting rythm.

6 Likes

Are you practicing this over a backing track, or just “dry”?

2 Likes

Noteflight.

But it doesn’t mute notes. So that may be the problem. I don’t have the rythm in my ear. Thanks for the implicit suggestion.

7 Likes

@juli0r deeep breathes. It is a big step but when there it will be better in the flesh human to human, your doing great.
Jamie
And feel free to rant, thanks for sharing your journey.

5 Likes

You can do it man! The capes bassman can do anything!

5 Likes

I think you may be over thinking this.
I doubt they expect you to show up and be able to nail the songs with never have played them together. I am sure it’s somewhat common for a new guy in a band to ask for and receive a little coaching for their songs. Especially with little time to learn all songs. It takes time to learn new songs, especially while you are still very much learning.

For parts you are not able to mute, don’t play anything in between the played notes as a start.

6 Likes

Yeah. I agree that I’m overthinking this. I tend to do this when I have time to think before something.

Jup. I thought about that too.
Also the 16th chugging would also work as 8ths chugging.
Doubt anyone besides bassists would notice the difference immediately anyway :smiley:

6 Likes

They would probably be impressed with you showing up and playing the watered down version solidly, then the full version poorly.
Explain you are still learning the songs the right way, but want to be able to play with the band at practice to help you feel it more, and that you wanted them to be able to play the full songs at practice, with at least bass they can work to, so they are not losing much practice time.

7 Likes

Yeah totally agree with T_Dub. Unless you are a semi professional session musician, i don’t think anyone would be able to perfectly replicate songs without ever jamming with the people that made them. Never mind 16th’s with muting as well!

Hell, I play every week with the guys in the band and it takes us everything just to get the basics to start with!

I reckon after a few rehearsals in person it will feel a bit easier as you have the gist of the song in your head from practicing together repeatedly.

6 Likes

You worry too much. :slight_smile:

4 Likes