Shall I contact this band?

Vocalist has a Rush - Geddy type vibe. (Not personally my fav - but great experience nonetheless).

2 Likes

Yes. As said that’s the only thing I’m not completely on board with. Although I like the backing vocals they throw in in addition to ther voice.
It’s not my fav either but it works with the music and is alright. Good enough to play with them at least :wink:

4 Likes

Yeah, but the likelihood of meeting the perfect band generally doesn’t exist. At least not at the start.

I’d just give it a go and see what happens. If it works, cool. If it doesn’t, also cool.

7 Likes

Thank you! That helped although I just used this as introduction and then made a little bit like an “introduce yourself” post. I think if there’s something in there that would put them off it would be preferrable to not not have to meet.
For example I’m not sure how they think about me being 7 years older than the oldest member. It doesn’t bother me but if they don’t want to play with an “old guy” or something we can all save time.

And I also had some practical/organizational questions in there about how to reach the practice room and if I should bring my amp. Stuff like that.

8 Likes

Juli lie about your age chop 3yrs off your age :rofl: it’s allowed

6 Likes

And this is why context is always important!

5 Likes

yeah @juli0r maybe just meet them and talk with them about this project, also you will see if it’s OK from a social point of view. sometimes we know instantly that we won’t be friend with someone !

7 Likes

… it’s a high school band???

Seriously – give it a shot! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

19-26years old. So I guess something like that.
As said I don’t mind. I contacted them and am waiting for a response. I don’t know how much they check/update on this platform so… we’ll see.

6 Likes

It should not be a problem. Being a 62 year old developer, I am perfectly familiar with people being at least 20 years younger than I am myself.

Some 5 years ago, a colleague said, literally “you are older than my dad, but I never notice it!”

9 Likes

Getting more and more common in software development, which (like writing) can easily be productively done until you drop dead. As long as you can think and type you’re good, as long as you can keep your ego in check and actually listen to designers and product managers about things you’re no longer in the demographic for yourself.

5 Likes

Just remember 1 thing @juli0r,
Roots, fifths and octaves.
Can’t go wrong :+1:
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

So far my money is on “one of the guitarists played the bass and they did the fits-all solution of mimicing the guitar rythm while playing roots”. At least for the song I listened closer to. So in that regard I think I’m safe :smiley:

5 Likes

BAM!
14.07. band practice.
Practice room very reachable with public transport
They’ll send me notes for the written songs so I can practice before!

Thanks again for all the encouragement. It really helped me. In theory I knew everything you said but in practice doubt often wins out. So without some assurance by you guys this would have been a great opportunity missed.

15 Likes

Good man :+1: Enjoy :wink:

5 Likes

Yes. In my experience, you’ve got to network and play with as many musicians as possible.

5 Likes

Awesome! I’m so excited to hear how this goes!

6 Likes

Haha, now I am picturing you as Rainn Wilson in the movie “The Rocker”

Funny movie

And it is awesome @juli0r, you are doing it my friend, so cool. So proud of you.

One day I may do it, but will be like 22 years older. Lol

5 Likes

What was that again? Best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. Second best time is now.

I’m starting to get cold feet! :smiley: It’s only a week by now and the songs are still a little bit too hard for me to play cleanly. I got the 16ths with rests down, I got the 16ths chugging on 90bpm down and now and what’s kind of left is the rythm including muted/ghost/dead notes.
X-X-F#-X-X-F#-X-F#-X-X-E-X-X-E-X-E
16ths on 90bpm.

I’m having trouble doing that in veeeeeeeeery slow still.
As I asked for notes to practice I’m not sure what they are expecting. Probably best to just say how it is and where I’m at with practicing and what I can and can’t do right now. Just wanted to vent because I got a bit frustrated with the muting rythm.

6 Likes

Are you practicing this over a backing track, or just “dry”?

2 Likes