Shall I contact this band?

Noteflight.

But it doesn’t mute notes. So that may be the problem. I don’t have the rythm in my ear. Thanks for the implicit suggestion.

7 Likes

@juli0r deeep breathes. It is a big step but when there it will be better in the flesh human to human, your doing great.
Jamie
And feel free to rant, thanks for sharing your journey.

5 Likes

You can do it man! The capes bassman can do anything!

5 Likes

I think you may be over thinking this.
I doubt they expect you to show up and be able to nail the songs with never have played them together. I am sure it’s somewhat common for a new guy in a band to ask for and receive a little coaching for their songs. Especially with little time to learn all songs. It takes time to learn new songs, especially while you are still very much learning.

For parts you are not able to mute, don’t play anything in between the played notes as a start.

6 Likes

Yeah. I agree that I’m overthinking this. I tend to do this when I have time to think before something.

Jup. I thought about that too.
Also the 16th chugging would also work as 8ths chugging.
Doubt anyone besides bassists would notice the difference immediately anyway :smiley:

6 Likes

They would probably be impressed with you showing up and playing the watered down version solidly, then the full version poorly.
Explain you are still learning the songs the right way, but want to be able to play with the band at practice to help you feel it more, and that you wanted them to be able to play the full songs at practice, with at least bass they can work to, so they are not losing much practice time.

7 Likes

Yeah totally agree with T_Dub. Unless you are a semi professional session musician, i don’t think anyone would be able to perfectly replicate songs without ever jamming with the people that made them. Never mind 16th’s with muting as well!

Hell, I play every week with the guys in the band and it takes us everything just to get the basics to start with!

I reckon after a few rehearsals in person it will feel a bit easier as you have the gist of the song in your head from practicing together repeatedly.

6 Likes

You worry too much. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I do.

But because I mostly keep it internally I sometimes come over as either arrogant or egoistic or both. Confused the hell out of me when I talked to a girl and she went: “cool that you approached me. I wanted to talk to you but you seemed so arrogant.” I was shy and thus silent most of the time - not arrogant.

Anyway. Yes. I worry too much.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAaahahahahahahah. Yes I worry too much.
I listened to the recording of the song.
It’s an easier version than what is in the music sheet. That gave me boost of confidence.
I mean the bass isn’t very prominent in the mix but there are rarely 16ths. For sure there is no chugging 16ths for multiple bars. The muted notes are either nonexistent or go under in the mix.

Still glad I practiced those things.

8 Likes

Agreed. Someone that actually shows up when they say they will. That plays bass. That’s sober or mostly sober. That doesn’t have a big ego or an attitude. This itself is rare. So, you actually pre-learning the songs, even just a little, is a miracle. You’ll do fine. Don’t overthink it. Just have fun. Don’t dwell on your mistakes. Just play a whole note root note if you clam up, it’s still better than no bass. They may change the song up a little anyway when you jam. Oh well. Go with the flow. And let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

6 Likes

So to update you guys here: Thanks for giving me the push I needed.

I still have to meet the other members because today only one guitarist and the drummer were present. They warned me before but I still said that we would at least get to know each other and also it’s a bit less intimidating just meeting 2 instead of 4 people as a group at once.

So we talked a bit about what the situation is as they just moved to a new practice room and the sound isolation is still missing so currently there are no drums and they play relatively silent but it’s all in progress and already organized. I’ll be there at thursday to help with painting the room and getting to know the other band members.

They practice once a week and a very happy that a bassist messaged them. They have been looking for one for 3/4 of a year now as the old bassist originally applied as guitarist and was promised to switch after a while. I guess he realized that if he didn’t switch the motivation to find a bassist is not so high - so he switched and the band had 2 guitarist and no bassist.

The rent for the practice room is a bit pricy and they also have a band account the existing band members paid 500€ each but it’s free to give as much as you can/want.
May seem much but they put it to good use - Each band member plays with in ear monitors where each instrument is adjustable individually and they also do studio recordings.

The drummer seemed to be the one organizing stuff and the guitarist was a bit “meh, why am I even here?” but seemed to enjoy playing with me the one song I more or less was able to play and remember the form… except for the bridge.
Drummer also commented something like: “Aaaah! It’s so good to have the bass finally back. It just sounds empty without it.”

They have a gig in November. The drummer said: “But don’t worry - if you can’t play it until then we still have a backup that steps in for gigs if needed.”
Guitarist: “Pffff… if it’s been 2 1/2 month until now he’ll be able to play it with his eyes closed by then.” and I actually kind of agree… that’s more time that I have been playing so far.

So overall it was a positive experience and I will gladly help paint the walls at thursday and hopefully enjoying playing with the full band thursday next week.

P.S: The request at backstagepro was 2 years old and the age of course has changed since then - they didn’t update it. So it’s 21-28 now and with me 21-33 :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Good to see you entering the realm of performing musicians! :smiley:

4 Likes

Sounds like an excellent start @juli0r! I can’t help but feel a bit jealous

6 Likes

I’m still a bit in disbelief. It just seems too perfect.

Apparently I’m the only bassist ever to message them out of his own motivation.

7 Likes

Julian this is great, it’s moving. You will be ready for the gig, plenty time.
Jamie

4 Likes

Nice work @juli0r,
Glad you have now got someone to develop your chops with and in the end it’s a win win, you learn and practice👍
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

win-win-win
learn-practice-fun

I expected maybe a band to practice with. I got a band to practice, record and do gigs with. It’s just awesome.

7 Likes

Sounds a great opportunity @juli0r . I too am a little jealous.
You’ll have to get someone to video some of the gig and post it up on here :+1:

8 Likes

Awesome. I knew you would be great. I was looking at it more as you were going to interview them. I was sure they would be happy with you, I mean, you are BassBuzz certified. I was more concerned they would not meet your standards.
I am very happy they passed the interview and you have decided to hire a band to play with you.

11 Likes

Good on ya…hope it works out and you hang in there until the gig, there is nothing like playing in front a good crowd can’t wait to hear about that experience

7 Likes