I am Josh Fossgreen, your trusty bass teacher. Ask Me Anything! (closes Aug 30th)

Any fun songs you’d play as a family growing up?

4 Likes

When I’m alternate plucking continuously at higher tempos (like when building up my plucking speed on Hysteria), my little finger on the plucking hand usually sticks out elegantly into the air, as if I’m delicately sipping tea with the Queen. Should I worry about this? Apart from looking a bit silly, it must be using up valuable energy! Can’t seem to relax it though.

3 Likes

it’s really too bad the forum doesn’t support signature lines - that would be a good one :slight_smile:

9 Likes

You know, I’ve wondered about that. It’s not just Josh, though he’s the nicest about it, but instructors keep saying, “keep your flying fingers under control to reduce hand stress.”
Really? Have you taken two 80lb dogs for a 40 minute walk? And then had to have the fine motor control to juggle a flashlight while picking up poop in the dark while they’re excited by the nearby raccoon? A little pinkie action is not that big a deal. And you don’t get poop on your hands :roll_eyes:*

• NB: at least while playing bass. If you do, seek professional counseling
6 Likes

Me too, just freaky.

Yeah, like lots of modern core of metal is so damn technical, and the players are awesome, but its not nearly as popular of a metal core or genre of music, because it is basically musicians making music for other musicians to admire their skill, but because they have the technical ability, it doesnt automatically make them good song writers.
Some of those crazy technical bass players, yeah, Its impressive, for a minute or two tops, after that, it gets boring to most people,

Its like Shred Guitar. I could never listen to even one full Yngwie Malmsteen song, let alone want to get a full record or go to a show.
Best and most Steve Vai I have ever watched, listened to and enjoyed was his part in the end of the movie Crossroads, when he gets taken down my the karate kid when he cant play the clasical line properly.

Ok Question time for @JoshFossgreen

What kind of car does a 6’7” person drive, and do you get claustrophobic in smaller cars, or low ceiling rooms?

Hell, I am only 6’0”, and every time I get in most standard cars, the seat goes all the way down, and all the way back, or I do get creeped out and claustrophobic.

5 Likes

Hi Josh. The only note that regularly causes me problems is the low F (first fret on the E string). It buzzes, no matter what I try to do to prevent it. Any suggestions?

5 Likes

You said you wanted to collab with a drummer. I’m a drummer. Probably nowhere near you, but I can certainly record.

7 Likes

Where did you get your blue Metallica “And Justice for All” tee-shirt that you wear in one of the earlier bass lesson modules? Your tee-shirts are all the bomb. Also, you are the best teacher ever.

5 Likes

Hey Josh, I was wondering why it is when musicians play a song together, they often start laughing when they’ve finished it.

6 Likes

How the heck do you mute the B string when slapping a 5-string bass?

3 Likes

Josh: I have a problem where my pinky is moving involuntarily when I actuate my ring finger. I also find myself “squeezing” the neck when fretting a note. Bad Moon Rising_cover - YouTube

Any advice on how to fix these?

3 Likes

My last question…

Will you please join us one day for one of these…?

7 Likes

First of all a big thank you for the B2B course and this great place to hang out with really good people.
I was wondering if you ever have days when things just don’t gel and you find it harder than usual to get things just how you want them?
And how do you keep yourself so grounded and an all round good guy? Taking your playing and teaching abilities into account it would be all too easy to have the ego of a small country ( or lead guitarist)and yet you don’t

4 Likes

I would like to second @John_E 's request to join us on a live hang some day.

7 Likes

I would like to third @John_E & @JerryP ,
Would be great to see you at a B2B hang Josh, and yes you can bring your banana :joy::joy::joy:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

I think I know the answer to this, but are there times you miss doing your cruise ship gig?

4 Likes

Still learning Spanish? Como va eso?

3 Likes

Touch wood that you stay out of lockdown…whats the immediate plans for live work? Meaning would it be baby steps and do close to home work or hopefully get out and about around the US? Goodluck either way

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Thanks everyone for participating, this was fun! Here’s the last round of answers:

I didn’t start playing til I was 12 or 13, but the first thing I ever played on bass was Hit The Road Jack, with my dad and little sister playing piano. It was thrilling!

I don’t think it will necessarily keep you from successfully pulling off a song like that, but it does indicate excess tension in your hand, so I’d do some more breathing/relaxing practice!

Lol! Surprisingly, I drive an old Prius. It’s not the size of the outside of the car, it’s the roominess of the interior. I don’t get claustrophobic, but I do get very uncomfortable! Literally played a club in New Hope PA once that had such a low ceiling I had to play sitting on a stool. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sounds like a setup issue! Take it a guitar tech and have them sus it out for you.

Somewhere online, I forget now, it’s been a few years!

Cuz music is fun. :slight_smile: Also sometimes it’s a rush of a “wow we barely pulled that off” feeling. :crazy_face:

Fretting hand!

First thing I’d do is get your ring finger off those 5th fret notes, and practice your index-middle-pinky fretting techinque (aka Simandl), to get you more comfortable on the pinky and so you don’t stick it behind the neck like that.

Otherwise, it’s just lots of slow practice and finger independence exercise. And re:neck squeezing, again, the more attention you put on lightening up the pressure, especially on the thumb, the better you’ll get. I talk about that in this vid if you haven’t already watched it:

That would be fun! I’ll see if I can make it!

Yep! I think everybody probably does… they just don’t put them on Instagram.

Probably a lot of things! It doesn’t feel like something I have to try to do, I just remember every day that I’m making these lessons to help people out, not to boost my image.

Not really. I miss traveling, and it’s fun to play gigs every day, but I much prefer living on land, like a normal human being!

I wish! Duolingo got really boring for me after a while. I just don’t need that much practice saying “El hombre es muy elegante”!

No idea, just making bass lessons and going with the flow! Not sure what life has in store for me next with my performing career. Just trying to have fun with the bass in the meantime.

19 Likes