I betrayed Bass and bought a Guitar!

If you look close those aren’t the standard tuneomatics saddles. Those are barrel shaped and roll smoother.

1 Like

no, the Toronado is another body shape. a HH Jazzmaster is just a HH Jazzmaster :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ahh, ok.

I saw a teardown of that Jazzmaster and it isn’t clear it is routed large enough for humbuckers. It might be but it would be close. The rout is pretty much exactly the size of the pup covers. Everything else looks great under the covers though.

1 Like

Fantastic Blue there @Reasonably_Happy. I love the color. it goes with just about any pickguard colors

2 Likes

2 Likes

What’s your opinion of the Tele Custom and Deluxe? I thought I would naturally like them but they sound kind of odd to me. Like, yes, it’s a humbucker, but it doesn’t belong here. Which is weird given my preferences, but it’s just… not quite right sounding to me. Maybe it’s the shawbuckers themselves. Are they supposed to sound more dull or flat than other humbuckers?

P90’s sound awesome to me in Teles though.

1 Like

I love them !

this I don’t know, I’m not sure I tried those particular pickups.

a traditionnal Deluxe Tele has the Wide Range CuNiFe humbucker, which sound kinda different from a normal (Gibson-style) HB. The CuNiFe are very Fender actually, very bright and agressive humbuckers, very dynamic with a wide frequency spectrum. Very different from the midrange-heavy PAF’s.

Also the Wide Range have a different form factor (larger) than the Gibson HB, so there is pretty much no compatibility with after market pickups.

CuNiFe is the type of magnets, used only on those pickups because this is really really expensive. CuNiFe is a weird magnet that can be machined, and the screws of the pickups are actually the magnets. very different construction than on a Gibson-style HB.

2 Likes

Cool. I’ll try and find some of these. The recent examples I have found are of “vintage shawbuckers” and I am not impressed at all. Maybe they are trying too hard :rofl:

I would love this, I’ll try and find a good example.

1 Like

yeah, don’t forget that most Fender pickups are far from excellent …

Also about the Wide Range : not all Tele Deluxe have those pickups, even if they look like actual Wide Range. For example the pickups on the MIM Deluxe are in fact normal Gibson-style HB with a Wide Range-style cover. So, they don’t sound like actual CuNiFe Wide Range’s.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s a good point. I am definitely spoiled by Yamaha there.

1 Like

So if I were to look at guitars to blay bluesy stuff, what would be a good place to start?

3 Likes

I’ll defer to the blues folks here but my noob suggestion would be Strat or Tele style, single coils, and a nice overdrive pedal. Should give a real nice expressive blues guitar.

3 Likes

Well @Wombat-metal what an age to live in eh. For $400 you can get an inexpensive but beautifully made Sire S3 (Strat style guitar perfect for blues) that could give you many years of playing pleasure. I mean what a time to be alive.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search?s=sire+s3&irclickid=wiLznDQzcxyNTwlXiiSRbSvTUkAWhf0gEwEn1c0&irgwc=1&utm_source=Impact&utm_medium=Darrell%20Braun%20Guitar&utm_campaign=Online%20Tracking%20Link

2 Likes

It’s really incredible how affordable instruments are now, yeah

3 Likes

Sweetwater has T3s, but no S3s atm

3 Likes

Well @terb is your tele guy. I’m just wrapping up my day noodling over a blues jam track on my strat style guitar from Shijie. Man those strings are close together :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Plenty on Reverb

3 Likes

Those Shijie are a fantastic buy. They have come up in price a bit and are still ridiculously good deals.

2 Likes

Blues in the fingers and the heart. We’ve seen blues from all the classics, and others like flying v’s, firebirds, baritones and the like. Get the thing that you don’t want to put down. And the play heck out of it.

https://youtu.be/hThlFYaUXds

See instruction manual above…

3 Likes

Yep. Plenty of stuff being made on Ibanez AZ’s. Basically there is a lot to choose from.

Overdrive might be required though :rofl:

2 Likes