I finally nicknamed a bass

I’ve never had nicknames for my instruments… until the other day. I added some lighting bolt decals to one of my Mustangs awhile back. Last week I turned to look at it on the wall and immediately thought: “kilowatt.” It got me thinking, when I was a kid I remember seeing a retro cartoon character for the electricity industry- i think in part to educate kids to the dangers of electricity. I looked it up and discovered it was Reddy Kilowatt. Of course someone online makes decals so now my bass tatoos are hopefully complete!

17 Likes

Good looking bass!

2 Likes

Reddy is a great name for a bass that’s not red :smile:

1 Like

Awesome!

I never nicknamed an instrument until my current two, which are “Miki” and “Captain BAMF”.

Miki is my Miki Furukawa signature SBV-800MF. Only one name made sense for that one.

Captain BAMF is my matte black BB734A. Name should be self explanatory :rofl:

3 Likes

You must be from my era - Reddy Kilowatt was a PSA in the 50s maybe even into the 60s. It’s been a while since I’ve seen that character.

1 Like

very few elected have a nickname.

Greenie :

and Juliette (not even a bass) :

and that’s all, I think.

5 Likes

@terb
I like juliets pick guard- looks like maybe old school video game?

1 Like

He’s all over the place on the Internet these days! Probably not exactly as you remember him though…

11 Likes

@coach1947

Probably not too far off… born in 61. But i do remember Reddy from some point, but may have been from reruns if he wasn’t new then!

2 Likes

That is so Fallout-chic, I absolutely love it

4 Likes

Space Invaders, yeah

1 Like

:smiley:

1 Like

Kilowatt is a cool bass! No nicknames for my basses yet, nor all but two of my guitars:

• restored a rare 1971 Martin D28-S slope shoulder dreadnaught that needed several cracks repaired, neck reset, etc… Total cost: $1,500. Hence its nickname: Patches.
  • purchased a paisley-topped Thunder model guitar, a P-90 Les Paul-copy from Rock N Roll Relics. It is Barbie-pink, so naturally its nickname is Ken.

4 Likes
2 Likes

I haven’t seen Reddy Kilowatt since I was a toddler. A blast from the past for sure.

1 Like

Reddy Lee?

2 Likes

I’m with you, Gio. I’ve never named any of the myriad instruments I’ve had.

My two saxes were the alto and the tenor. All of my custom acoustic guitars are either called by the luthier’s name (the Claxton, etc.) or by the type each is (OM, Small Jumbo, OO). A couple are unique models, so each is its model name (the Nick Lucas and the Prairie State).

Keyboards are the manufacturer’s name and model (the Fender Rhodes, etc.).

Basses follow the same approach (Mayones Jabba Mala, etc.).

To each his own, but it’s never occurred to me to nickname an instrument.

1 Like

I’ve been calling my Sadowsky “Sadako” playully, for those who don’t remember Sadako

I have no idea who that is :rofl:

1 Like

The Ring, a really scary horror movie