I have not played bass for months and I feel very bad about it :(

Welcome to the community @jersimmons!

6 Likes

Welcome back @jersimmons,
Your basses have been waiting patiently for you all this time, they are full of energy just waiting to be cuddled show they can share their love :heartbeat: with you.
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

If it is your passion, it will never be too late to start it again. Even if you are afraid of you don’t know how to play, it’s nothing compare to your strong willing.

6 Likes

I’m in the same boat.

I’d taken the course with the motivation to get good enough to jam and find people to play with.
Then with lock-downs and social distancing jamming with people is not really a thing and with that goal taken away my motivation just slowly tailed off. :cry:

6 Likes

Hey there @infra,
Things will change and we will get our lives back👍
Until that happens, maybe a good way to stay motivated is find a couple of songs you really enjoy and try learning them :+1: play along with them, improvise to include your own fills etc
Hope these ideas keep you heading in the right direction :sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

@infra I feel this too.

Finding motivation is hard for a lot of us right now. I keep having to remind myself this is an opening to keep improving my fundamentals till things get back to normal. That ends up being a tough sell on even my best days.

Feeling like I needed more structure to keep things moving forward, I bought Ariane Cap’s book Music theory for the Bass Player. Sometimes It helps to see the information presented from a different view point. It’s already helping me.

Going back through B2B again is a really good idea unless you’ve already done it or you started with substantial knowledge prior to the course. There is so much information in there, I could easily do it a third time and still feel like I’ll get more out of it. The more I learn, the more I realize how deep B2B really is.

Another option would be going through the videos linked here… BassBuzz YouTube Video Guide. There is so much new and supporting information here, you could make a second course out of just going through it all and seeing how much you can get out of it. If you feel like you need a reminder the related Module will get you up to speed.

Good luck. Let us know if there’s anything else we can do to help.

7 Likes

Try recording a few covers and putting them up on here @infra.
The recording thing has really given me some drive although getting them posted is another story :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

5 Likes

We will get you up and running @Mac in no time, now we are allowed to travel 25klms from home under dictator Dans new COVID rules🤔

4 Likes

Cool :sunglasses: look forward to it :+1:

2 Likes

I started playing bass in high school in 1969. Played in a couple bands after awhile. Then went into the Navy in 1972 and stopped playing. Now I’m back to playing along with Josh’s lessons. Ready to get back to playing, just don’t know where to look for people to play with. Used to play rock. Now prefer country.

4 Likes

Is Dictator Dan an elected official? If so, when is the next election?

2 Likes

Not soon enough @PamPurrs.
He hasn’t harmed my source of income ( if I was working) as he has kept his pet construction projects on course but with his Covid-19 restrictions and allowing massive Chinese investment Via loans within Victoria’s infrastructure he is a great concern.
Unfortunately I am not a citizen yet and as such I have no right to vote !

3 Likes

I know I am extremely late to this thread, but I have to chime in.

Nothing you have said @StefanK sounded like an excuse. You sounded like you were just going through some hard times, man.

Look, life gets in the way a lot more than you’d realize. COVID came and turned us all upside down and it sucks. But for a lot of people around the world, COVID also brought the possibility of new musicians into being! That’s something :slight_smile:

While life can be absolute poop sometimes, it’s OK to be overwhelmed, question your existence and then decide to keep going in the direction YOU want to go. It’s OK to vent, OK to cry. OK to just scream at the helplessness and failure you feel sometimes.

It’s called being human and you got back on that Bass and it all came back.

I’ve been going through a large trifecta of back pain issues, depression and family drama that has put some very hard strain on my family.

It’s been hard, I can definitely understand.

I haven’t done a consistent lesson in almost a month and a half and am PISSED at myself for this. I think I’m gonna have to use Bass as therapy, scream THERAPY TIME!!! and get back into it because I got B2B AND three free months of Fender classes that I need to get into!

I’m glad that you shared with us all and I’m glad you got back into it!

5 Likes

Hi Pam, @PamPurrs,
Yes he is an elected official, and I think he will resign before he gets voted out, and that can’t come quick enough :+1:
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

And I can’t put on the internet what I really think of him :joy: @TNKA36

3 Likes

I can’t either @Mac,
He is my boss, doesn’t mean I have to vote for him👍
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

I don’t want to get into a political debate but at least that fool cleaned up the mess he created (at our expense) which is better than what’s going on in the U.S. or Europe.

3 Likes

I’ve been learning to play the bass since I was 15. I’m now 52. Most of us will take a little break every so often. I’m several months into a hiatus at the moment, but that’s ok. I stalled (at least) once before and I went back to the start of the course, ripped through the old lessons, and was back in love with playing by the time I caught up.

Your bass, like the music, will still be there for you.

10 Likes

I have not played bass since around September 29th or 30th when I got sick.
A few days later I was in the hospital from Oct 1st thru Oct 20something.
I have not felt up to anything resembling a practice session since getting home, and I feel very bad about it as well. I do feel a bit depressed that I am not able to play, but on the other hand, I am feeling a bit grateful that I am ale to use this time to rest up and get my health back, and very grateful to have bass to go back to once I am feeling up to par, and soon enough I will be back and better then ever.
If you ever go through a spell where you are not able to play, try and look on the bright side, and towards the future when you will be able to play as much as you can / want, are able to. It has helped me, HTH anybody else struggling with not playing, for whatever reason.

7 Likes

Ditto everything you said, @T_dub . . . I was in from Oct 4th to 20th . . . :neutral_face:

Good to be back home, but am sick as the proverbial dog, and super depressed over it all. Nice to know that I’m not alone in this situation.

Yes indeed, so thanks for your post and thumbs up, Joe :+1:

5 Likes