I need some advice

Ok. I’ve decided I’m going to go BEAD. Does anyone know of a factory BEAD bass?

2 Likes

My advice would be to have a second bass for it. I find its use situational and I nearly always want a EADG bass, maybe detuned to drop D for some songs.

I am not aware of any factory ones; most people I know of mod an existing bass for it. This will involve some filing of the nut.

Also I should say: I didn’t mean to sound like I was talking you out of a five string - I just wanted to make sure there was a full understanding of the options :slight_smile:

They aren’t my preference but there’s nothing at all wrong with 5-strings. If you just want one bass, and still want the low B, they are a good option.

3 Likes

Exactly. I want a BEAD bass and a standard bass.

P.S. Your good :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Cool! Yeah, then, buying a second bass you’re not afraid to work on a bit (it’s really minor changes) and some cheap diamond files for the nut might be the way to go. Then you just buy 5-string string sets for it, and simply keep the G string for future use, stringing it BEAD.

The only real mods are to slightly enlarge the nut slots to accommodate the larger gauge strings, and you don’t need luthier’s files for this; common fine diamond files work fine (or did for me). Just go a little at a time.

Some people also change the bridge saddles but I did not find that necessary.

You will need a full setup afterwards, including truss rod adjustment as the string tension is (ironically) lower with BEAD than EADG.

4 Likes

Ok! That works! I was thinking abt The Jackson JS Spectra. Thoughts?

4 Likes

I don’t see why not! I just used a 4-string I already had.

Some info here:

and here:

3 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

My pleasure! Have fun, the low B sounds pretty wicked.

2 Likes

GHS makes Bass Boomers in a BEAD set for strings

1 Like

Never played one but seen good reviews of this bass

1 Like

Which one did you buy? Asking for a friend :slight_smile:

I was also looking at the Limited Edition Mike Kerr Jaguar Bass. Not to purchase of course, as my dictator does not allow for it :frowning:
Just looking. It’s orange. Orange is THE DUTCH color.

If I would NOT buy a bass, than it would be 30" or 32" too.
So that means I would either NOT buy a Mike kerr Jaguar or NOT buy a Squier CV Jaguar Bass (which one would I NOT buy exactly?) … or what else? NOT!!? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you’re set on a short scale keeping checking the G&L Store on their website for “B” stock Tribute models they often sell for around $300 or so vs their $649 list price;Tribute Series FALLOUT shortscale bass | G&L Musical Instruments

2 Likes

Yeah, hmmmm, so I am NOT supposed to buy a bass. And I live in Germany. And it really should be something special like the Limited Edition Mike Kerr Jaguar Bass that I’m NOT buying :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve not bought the vintera II​:sweat_smile: and I’m really happy with my decision :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Cool, shortscale! In Orange too??!

1 Like

No, the purple one. Bin doch kein Holländer😜

2 Likes

…the decision was tough but I liked the purple one a bit more…

1 Like

Well, Sterling has a new bass announced at NAMM, short scale, not quite Orange but close

2 Likes

@LeftpeffWolf Ah, purple is pink for older boys :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I must exit this discussion as I am pursuing a dangerous path here!

MUST NOT BUY SHORTSCALE!!!

2 Likes