I Need Your Advice for Future Livestreams

Hey forum family! So you may know I’ve done a couple livestreams on Youtube recently, which have gone pretty well (despite occasional visits from the tech gremlins).

I plan to keep doing these, and I need your input on how to approach them going forward. There are two options I’m exploring, please vote on your favorite!

0 voters

Both options will include some Q&A, like the last one did, just a question of whether I go into full teacher mode at the beginning first.

Thanks for your input!

7 Likes

Whatever you do needs to incorporate slapping a PBass…just kidding. One thing you could do is pick a subject that you have not really delved into on the course (walking bass for example) and do a deep dive into it.

11 Likes

I like the format and think taking too many Q&As could get old fast.
I do like the topic idea, and there are a lot to branch out into.
Plus, you can keep these as loose or tight as needed based on the topic at hand.

I would suggest you stay away from one thing - theory.
Only because it then feels more like a lesson than a hang with good info.
More bass breaks too, show your stuff.

and oh - side note - could you give a blurb here or on a PM about the merits/amazingmentness or not of the Noble DI? I would really like to understand the hype

8 Likes

I liked the topic format best, but maybe you could do a “your questions answered” session twice a year, maybe getting people to submit questions or videos of areas they’re struggling with in advance.

8 Likes

Another vote for topic based.
Sounds stupid but for those of us on a different time zone it makes for easier watching after the live event

8 Likes

Agree! Topic is the best way to go.

Love to hear about the dynamic of finger tones and how to create different tone by playing at different place on the body as well as left hand techniques. Tips on the dynamic of moving the right hand. You have a very clean playing technique, it would be so beneficial to learn that.

7 Likes

Structure = good
I wouldn’t rely on all us weirdos constantly guiding the conversation. You would also have reason to stick to answering some questions while ignoring others.

NO HE’S NOT. People who say this are never kidding.

7 Likes

I totally agree with topic based. I’ve had to view the replays due to my travel schedule so I loose the opportunity to ask “live” questions. I enjoy it more learning about something specific.

6 Likes

@JoshFossgreen, as per your video on how to realize progress from practice sessions, think of your livestream as needing to achieve a planned goal first, and “noodling” (Q&A, free-form messing around) second.

5 Likes

I am secretly “bthonk” (the guy that kept screaming to slap the pbass)

6 Likes

Your secret is safe with me :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

I personally prefer a standard video style. I may just be getting old, but to me, live-stream videos tend to be full of fluff, don’t tend to flow very well and lack structure. What I mean by fluff are things like waiting for viewers to start watching and sifting through comments and other live-stream type specifics. Your lessons/YouTube videos are written, produced, and edited well. That was part of the reason I bought the lessons, so to move into a live-stream that usually isn’t edited, produced or have a script, for me doesn’t work. Just my $0.02, keep up the good works!

8 Likes

The next video you plan to unveil the release date of your advanced course, right?

9 Likes

I vote topic based. I’m assuming the purpose of the live stream is not just forum member engagement, but also to draw new people into your course. In my opinion Topic based will work better for your SEO/SEM and give potential students an opportunity to engage with and appreciate your teaching style.

7 Likes

Occasional AMA’s are great but it seems it would be really hard to keep that format going on an ongoing basis.

6 Likes

I’m going to throw another vote for topic-based livestreams out here.
If you’re really keen on doing the interactive AMA’s, maybe keep those focused on the theme or topic at the end of the stream?

7 Likes

I think topic based will be best. Chat will always engage, but they will ask many of the same questions each livestream. If you get asked a question you have a video for, point them to the video. It’s why you make them.

I watch a lot of livestreams, and chat is mercurial. Give us a script to follow.

7 Likes

A topic-based live stream seems to be more interesting.

It might however be worth considering to make a video answering some of the questions that have been submitted and not answered during the stream.

5 Likes

You always will have people asking wherever, even if it’s a topic-specific live. Also is very difficult to keep up with a bunch of random questions from the chat.
I would keep a theme for the lives, that way we can also prepare our questions about it and you will have the material ready in front of you. You had a pedal live and was easier to show us because you had the pedals in front of you to demonstrate and exemplify at the moment. Easier than have you going to “wait a minute, let me get the pedals and set up to show you wherever”

6 Likes

also: i think it would be cool to have the occasional guest on a livestream with you, either in-person with you or just via video. that way you have someone to talk to who can also talk back rather than just interacting with text. i nominate @Gio for the next stream.

9 Likes