I never thought I'd need a second bass

Until I saw THIS one.

Iโ€™m a bass newbie and I already have a one but this (damn) bass is talking to me. What to do, what to do. :weary:

19 Likes

Welcome to the Aerodyne Fan Club. This bass is on the radar of almost everyone who plays bass. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Those are beautiful and I have been oogling one myself but trying to diversify a bit before Fenderizing again

4 Likes

I saw a rare left handed model on Reverb, in Candy Apple Red, which whispered very strongly to left handed me, but not strongly enough. Just checked the listing and itโ€™s no longer there. There is another LH model at Reverb, in Blue Whale color; but gee, that Candy Apple Red was very nice.
Added: for other left-handers out there, hereโ€™s another LH Candy Apple Red model listing., complete with butterfly appliquรฉ and some dings and other wear. Apparently, in Japan at least, it also came in Dolphin Gray, Gun Metal Blue, and Olympic White.

For one thing, as a new bass player and a short one, I would need to try out a standard 34" bass of any type, to see if it would suit me. Right now I have a short scale bass, the first and only one Iโ€™ve owned.

5 Likes

Thatโ€™s a beauty @NipperDog. Welcome to MBD (Multiple Bass Disorder). We have weekly meetings.

8 Likes

I prefer the black with the angled jack on the front, but that red with white binding is pretty sweet stuff.

6 Likes

Just buy it @NipperDog :smiling_imp:

5 Likes

Iโ€™m also as left handed as you can get but Iโ€™m learning to play the bass right handed. Donโ€™t ask me why. :flushed:

6 Likes

Can you save me a chair, Pam? :woozy_face:

5 Likes

I already did.
7f44e175f852e8792ddc3af181ab6e3adc6e58fb3565b8f99ba555faa6ca77ce.0

12 Likes

Whatโ€™s cheaper, my session or that bass?

6 Likes

Thanks Never, I (cough) never thought to consider the length of the instrument before. :thinking:

5 Likes

Many of us have been there. Do what you gotta do. Itโ€™s a nice bass though.

7 Likes

To be clear, everyone gets a Sweetwater catalog at each chair. No one here will talk you out of a bassโ€ฆunless of course there is a better they think you should be buying.

10 Likes

That would be so helpful.

6 Likes

Iโ€™ve seen both the red and black MIJ Aerodyneโ€™s in person and they look fantastic. Itโ€™s the best looking bass Fender has ever made IMO, with the exception of the MIJ Noir P-Bass:

8 Likes

Put a red line on a black bassโ€ฆand you have magic!

6 Likes

look for a used one in the $400-$500 range. They do not pop up super often around my area, but they do show up, and that is a good price range to look within.

5 Likes

Why?

This kid is far from tall, and his hands are not really big, nor are his fingers long.

Andโ€ฆ

Jaco on a 4 string fretless

Bruno Mars on a 5 string that is probably taller then he is (lol)

And if that is not enough, a 6 string

It can be done.
Whether you are not comfortable on a 34" or not is another story, but, if you see a bass you love, and it is only 34", just know, It can be done.

5 Likes

@T_dub
Sure, Iโ€™ve seen that boy, and other small/young players, so I know it can be done. I have very limited experience with any guitars/basses (only my miKro these last 3 months), so you are right, I need to find out if 34" would be comfortable. There are definitely more than a few basses that I like that are standard size, I just have not been out to any stores for a long long time with the pandemic, and lack of car. I ordered the miKro from Guitar Center in December, and it was delivered in late February.

Itโ€™s hard enough finding models in left handed orientation to start with, than to restrict things further by limiting to short scale. Dreaming of any particular model at this point is moot, since I am still learning from scratch and not at the point of shopping for a new bass. Itโ€™s just fun for now to see whatโ€™s out there.

@NipperDog, I hope you get over your cough! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes