I never thought I'd need a second bass

I was thinking at the time that it would easier to use my dominant hand to find the strings combinations on the fretboard. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Just buy it. It’s easier than the torment. Trust me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

By that logic, all right handed people would choose to use their dominant hand on the fretboard, i.e. the right, which is a left handed guitar orientation. But they do not.

Choosing right or left orientation for bass is an individual choice, though. You do what it is most comfortable for you.

4 Likes

You’re right, it makes no sense! :smile:

Having said that though, it’s feeling pretty natural to me now and I’m glad I opted to play as a righty. When I move my bass to the left hand position and try to imagine playing that way, it feels totally awkward.

7 Likes

I have often wondered why right handed guitars were not the opposite way. I would way rather fret with my dominant hand.

3 Likes

It seems so dang wrong. There must be a reason

2 Likes

I’m sure there’s a reason and it’s not random, because when you look at ancient instruments, from different parts of the world it’s a constant

4 Likes

Can confirm. Husband is left-handed and plays right-handed instruments because that’s what was available. Haven’t met anyone who’s right-handed and plays left, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s not as uncommon as we assume it is, either.

Theories abound on this subject – one I liked was that “fretting” wasn’t always as big a thing as it is made out to be in these modern times of ultra-fast solos, arpeggiation, hammer-ons, pull-offs and sweep-picking – so older instruments considered the majority of the work (keeping rhythm, volume, tone, etc) to be the domain of the dominant hand, and most probably the right. I think playing bass definitely opened my eyes to how much work my right hand does do, actually. So I can get behind that theory.

6 Likes

As an avid cyclist, there is a thing called N + 1. Cyclists in the forum will know what it means. But let me explain for the non-cyclists. When a person is pondering bicycles and wonders “how many bikes do I need” the answer is always N + 1 meaning whatever number of bikes you currently have is indicated by N you need one more… I have a feeling basses might be the same…

7 Likes

I know that in golf, Phil Mickelson is right handed but plays golf left handed.

6 Likes

And it certainly has worked for him, recently! :golf: :moneybag:

5 Likes

Stay away from Eastwood Guitars…the selection of basses is way to tempting…waiting on Tiger Bass :flushed:

4 Likes

My one and only experience has been with Sweetwater and it was totally positive. I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again.

6 Likes

12 Likes

Sweet bass!! Probably best to go the used route.

3 Likes

:smile: :clap:t3: :clap:t3: :clap:t3:

2 Likes

He just won the 2021 PGA Championship, too . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

I had same thoughts when I started out, why would I need 2nd bass. Untill I tried out Ray. It makes playing effortless compared to my first one which has pretty high action cause of uneven frets, chunky neck. Right now Im awaiting arrival of 3rd, which I actually ordered before I bought Ray.

Regarding fretting with dominant hand, I cant say I agree with that since sound comes from plucking hand. Plucking hand technique is much more important to me since thats where all of dynamics come from which makes same bassline from two people played give totally different vibe. Heck you can fret with single finger.

6 Likes

Sorry, but I don’t understand your ‘Ray’ references. :thinking:

3 Likes

Sterling by Musicman Ray4

4 Likes