I never thought I'd need a second bass

Bassists forumla is N+3

4 Likes

at 5 basses currently, I consider I’m still totally sane.

7 Likes

So all, I wonder what the timeline is until @NipperDog starts the “I NEVER THOUGHT I”D NEED A THIRD BASS” thread?

6 Likes

Don’t assume that I’m as crazy as the rest of you. :wink:

5 Likes

Somebody bookmark this statement, so we can pull it up next month after Bass 3 :rofl:
Just kidding, maybe you will be one of the few

6 Likes

I honestly don’t see me getting a 3rd. I like two as I have a nice bass and a cheap bass. Cheap bass for risky venues, friends playing, alcohol nights, etc. Nice bass otherwise. I don’t see the need for a 3rd unless I like it more than my nice bass, but that one is perfect in my eyes, so unlikely.

What I probably will do though is replace the cheap bass with something lighter. I didn’t realize how heavy it was until I got my new bass. Now when I use the old one I feel it in my back.

4 Likes

And I thought that I’d never have bought 24 basses since the 10th of November 2019.
And yet, here we are.
(turns to look at 75th Anniversary MIM Fender P bass…)
(turns back.)

I regret nothing.

9 Likes

Thank you @admacdo for making me feel better about my basses. I’m nowhere near your tally!!

8 Likes

It’s all good. I’ve only got 15 of them left in the house. I have to offload my Squier Jazz now. One in, one out is the new rule.
Except I want a Strandberg or a Dingwall now. And maybe a BB Yamaha.

5 Likes

That’s some impressive tally @admacdo !
What’s your main go to bass atm?

3 Likes

I was wondering how you fit them all in! . . . . :grin:

I only have two . . . and one of them is stuffed under the bed . . . :rofl:

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

I guess it’s all about priorities…
Do I really need that dressing-room? :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

That’s a tough question. I’m not sure how to answer it. It changes. I will fall in love with them all over again. My $$ Corvette’s neck is too thick, but the grunt it has speaks to me. And the neighbors.
I love my Sub 5 for the same reason. The feel of the Thumb and how it is distinct at each fret almost rivals the Fbass BN5, with a totally different sound from either. My original Cort B4 Plus is like coming home. Fender Prodigy with flats for the oldstyle boom.
But when I think I have something down reasonably well, I unhook the Ibanez SR400 FL. Unlined fretless was intimidating until I worked out the markers. Now it is just love and a subtle feeling of betrayal while I leave it till last.

Basses are like ice cream. When you have one, it’s your favourite. When you have many, you have a range of favourites, but you can have too much of one, which makes you appreciate others.

6 Likes

That is very well said and something I can totally relate to :+1:

5 Likes

In nearly two years of bass playing, even though I have bought and sold (or returned) many, I have never owned more than two basses at a time (except for the few months that I also had the EUB). I think @NipperDog can handle the pressure :rofl:

4 Likes

Yeah, I know how does that feel. Fenders and Stingray’s are my dream basses, but I have also promised myself, that i will consider buying them only when I really get better at playing bass. However, these days I have this obsession (weirdly enough) for thunderbirds - Epiphones… (Gibsons are way beyond my reach) :frowning_face:

10 Likes

Hi @nilabhchoudhary
Glad you are here. Feel free to introduce yourself here

3 Likes

Has he not bought that aerodyne yet? :slight_smile:

You’re not getting any younger!

My go to is a jazz bass but we had a impromptu Jam yesterday and I used a passive p bass and it was absolutely gorgeous for the stuff we did. Wouldn’t be able to use it for the band music but definitely for this chill out session yesterday.

And that’s why you need multiple basses. To cover all bases.

Ba-dum-tish!

I’m here all week folks.

9 Likes

:laughing: He has not but his goal is to try one out this coming week at his local Guitar Center store. :crossed_fingers:t3:

8 Likes

@NipperDog

I thought as much. Sounds like it has its claws in you. Can’t wait to see how it sounds as we all know you’re simply going to buy it :smiley:

5 Likes