I never thought I'd need a second bass

I guess it’s all about priorities…
Do I really need that dressing-room? :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

That’s a tough question. I’m not sure how to answer it. It changes. I will fall in love with them all over again. My $$ Corvette’s neck is too thick, but the grunt it has speaks to me. And the neighbors.
I love my Sub 5 for the same reason. The feel of the Thumb and how it is distinct at each fret almost rivals the Fbass BN5, with a totally different sound from either. My original Cort B4 Plus is like coming home. Fender Prodigy with flats for the oldstyle boom.
But when I think I have something down reasonably well, I unhook the Ibanez SR400 FL. Unlined fretless was intimidating until I worked out the markers. Now it is just love and a subtle feeling of betrayal while I leave it till last.

Basses are like ice cream. When you have one, it’s your favourite. When you have many, you have a range of favourites, but you can have too much of one, which makes you appreciate others.

6 Likes

That is very well said and something I can totally relate to :+1:

5 Likes

In nearly two years of bass playing, even though I have bought and sold (or returned) many, I have never owned more than two basses at a time (except for the few months that I also had the EUB). I think @NipperDog can handle the pressure :rofl:

4 Likes

Yeah, I know how does that feel. Fenders and Stingray’s are my dream basses, but I have also promised myself, that i will consider buying them only when I really get better at playing bass. However, these days I have this obsession (weirdly enough) for thunderbirds - Epiphones… (Gibsons are way beyond my reach) :frowning_face:

10 Likes

Hi @nilabhchoudhary
Glad you are here. Feel free to introduce yourself here

3 Likes

Has he not bought that aerodyne yet? :slight_smile:

You’re not getting any younger!

My go to is a jazz bass but we had a impromptu Jam yesterday and I used a passive p bass and it was absolutely gorgeous for the stuff we did. Wouldn’t be able to use it for the band music but definitely for this chill out session yesterday.

And that’s why you need multiple basses. To cover all bases.

Ba-dum-tish!

I’m here all week folks.

9 Likes

:laughing: He has not but his goal is to try one out this coming week at his local Guitar Center store. :crossed_fingers:t3:

8 Likes

@NipperDog

I thought as much. Sounds like it has its claws in you. Can’t wait to see how it sounds as we all know you’re simply going to buy it :smiley:

5 Likes

I certainly seem to be moving in that direction. :grin:

4 Likes

Good thing our local GC has absolute rubbish for basses. It looks like they are going out of business its so baren. Even the NYC one has very limited inventory.

5 Likes

I’ve never set foot in a GC store but I’m hoping my local (Pasadena) location is better stocked than yours in NYC.

3 Likes

You can check inventory online, save yourself a trip perhaps.
Inventories are super limited in stores for GC, as the company filed Chapter 11 and it, wwbw.com, & musiciansfriend.com are poised to go under soon.

Talking to the guy at Hipshot about where to get some out of stock parts, he told me 'don’t order from GC, because they most likely won’t be able to fulfil. Vendors are cutting them off too due to ensuing credit issues, etc.

5 Likes

5 days, tops :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Old news, GC emerged from Chapter 11 last year. It’s doing just fine.

Though do check your local store’s inventory before you go. I went yesterday and mine had a ton of stuff.

3 Likes

I think I’ll just call some of the GC stores in my area.

2 Likes

I think they are still in the re-org process from their Chapter 11. The harsh reality is, all the music stores are having difficulty getting product, and GC might be at the bottom of the suppliers’ lists.

3 Likes

They came out of reorg last December for what it’s worth.

And you can see the inventory online, guitarcenter.com/local store name, like here is my lynnwood store

5 Likes

Cool! That’ll come in handy.

3 Likes

You’re half right, I haven’t been following the case as I should. I just looked it up on PACER and it appears their Chapter 11 plan was confirmed on December 17, 2020. That doesn’t mean it’s over, they still have to complete their plan which typically takes several years. In the meantime, they remain under the management of the Bankruptcy Trustee.
Here’s the case number if you’re interested:
Guitar Center Inc., 20-34656, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Virginia

5 Likes