I was discouraged to play the short scale bass

A few words from experience, if you start on a longer scale say, standard 34” scale and drop to 30” scale not only your finger work and reach would transfer to short scale it would feel much faster as well.

Same thing does not work the other way around. If you start on a 30” scale and jump to 34” there are some recalibration period of anywhere from 10 minutes to a few weeks.

1 Like

Hi!
If you will play bass, you INEVITABLY will end up buying a short scale bass too. Better doing it right now. Anyway, it will have its place in your collection.
Thomann does not ship to the Philippines?
As for the discourageing advices:

(French, “Follow your own path, and you will reach summits.” - The contrary is true as well.)

Good luck!

4 Likes

just to maybe encourage, instead of disxxx

3 Likes

Awesome! I’ve been wondering, is there really a great advantage to fan frets for a 4 string bass? I understand for 5 strings and more, but what problem does it actually solve for the 4 string bass? I’ll be glad to hear any input on the subject…

1 Like

The main advantage is the string tension. One of the parameter on this build was to stretch it as much as it could for dramatic aesthetic. Since it’s a short scale it’s easy enough to handle. Also the nut has been sloped to minimize the annoying distraction when fretting the F on E string. It’s very comfortable. This one take a bit longer to recalibrate due to the maximized fanning.

2 Likes

not much to add. if you get tired of a short scale bass, it’s likely because it’s not the bass for you, not because it’s short scale. also, you can always have both you know :grinning:

2 Likes

Great advise!! Feeds directly into the Multiple Bass Disorder!! disease that most here on this forum suffer from…. A bass player can never have too many!! Just ask @Al1885…… He’s probably the worst infected around here!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

3 Likes

I might add… typically short scales are lighter weight. Although I know there are certainly light materials used for some standard models- but in general your back and shoulders will enjoy the difference a pound or two can make after playing for a couple hours! I love both of my MIM Fender PJ Mustangs but certainly understand personal preferences and other opinions.

4 Likes

Most certainly agree @lee_editorial!! Surprisingly, the last band I played with wanted me to play nothing else other than my Hofner Shorty…. That hollow body short scale worked well in most every set list they had…. And yes, very easy on the back!!

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

1 Like

I was perfectly happy with my 34 inchers, until I seriously tried a short scale, and the lighter weight is welcome. I have been dealing with nagging injuries and if it weren’t for the lighter weight not sure I would be playing right now.

And they sound fantastic

2 Likes

Personally, it’s not so much the weight but balance. Steve Harris bass is by far the heaviest bass I own but it’s pretty well balanced just overall heavy almost 12 pound. Some imbalanced 9 pound weight gave me a hard time before. The short scale Squier Jaguar is probably one of the bass I fought a lot because the light weight body and heavy neck and tuners.

Weight you cant do a lot about, but balance (or at least neck dive) can be addressed. Both my Mustangs had neck dive, but I swapped out the tuners for Ultra Lites and that instantly solved the balance issue.

2 Likes

This just popped up in my feed today.

2 Likes

The Sterling SS sounds the best to my ear but probably because it’s the only MM there so it sounded different and present.

Then the Fender VintEra and the Squier mustang sound awesome. I love the look of the Spector but not so much the tone. The EBH SS is pretty cool. Notable mention is the U5 that thing is just gorgeous and sounds great too.

2 Likes

You’re two for two, @Al1885. :smiley:

Those are the only shorties I own.

2 Likes

I own 2 short scale basses: my Ibanez Mikro and the Gretsch G2220 and both are great for travel because of the size, but I don’t recommend them for much else. My go to bass at home is the one I call the Taxibacker. It’'s a Rickenbacker style kit bass that I built myself with some help from my luthier guru Terry, but I also own a number of other full scale basses like the Yamaha BB G4 and the 174. I also have an Epiphone Thunderbird that’s HUGE (Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue uses a modified T-Bird).

2 Likes

I was able to try the Rascal in a music store when I was travelling last month. It was great, I had to do a double take on the price tag because it performed above it’s MSRP.

2 Likes

I primarily play a fanned fret. Aside from the better tension on lower strings, I really prefer the ergonomics of it. I don’t have to twist my wrist as much on either side of the board. It takes all of a few minutes to really get used to it.
The only downside is doing chords in the higher registers and harmonics are a little weird.

You also get the added bonus of a killer optical illusion that makes it look like the neck of the guitar is twisted in some impossible way when looking at it from certain angles.

2 Likes

Like this angle? Lol.

No seriously, which one are you playing right now?

I agree the chords are not as comfortable on the upper register on the multi scale and I stretched mine pretty far but it’s cool. It looks much harder to play than it is.that said I would not play a Fretless version of the multi scale it would be a nightmare.

Spector Dimension with Dr Pure Blues. The Fluence system on it has spoiled me to no end.

4 Likes