I'm a Year Sober, Today!

Just happy to report I made it a year without drinking and don’t intend to start up again. Went hand-in-hand with my resolution to become a better guitarist/musician in general… And I gotta say the journey was a lot easier after picking up the bass in February.

To anyone tired of boozing (me), or trying to get away from an addiction (also me), or just looking to kick a bad habit in 2022, I wish you all the strength and success in the world. As they say – sex, drugs, rock n’ roll… But get rid of one and you have more time for the other two!

The world is yours, guys!

71 Likes

Well done! It’s good when we invest our energies towards our goals and don’t let “distractions” (for want of a better word) ruin our potential.

It could be alcohol, it could be excessive time wasted on social media/phones…whatever.

Some years ago I noticed that I wasn’t reading any longer or listening to music because, in my free time, I was always idly “wasting time”, scrolling down on some “update” on FB, without even noticing. (Notice, I don’t intend to make a comparison between quitting FB and staying sober: please don’t think that I am belittling it! I just want to point out the several, often unnoticed, ways that we can “trick” ourselves far from our goals).

I dropped it the moment I realized it, and my life has very much improved. Keep up!

Now the only “wasting time” that I like is Otis Redding’s “sitting on the dock of the bay”…

15 Likes

Congratulations, @chordsykat . . . Wow! :open_mouth: A whole year without drinking is quite an accomplishment, and one of which you can be proud . . . :wink:

Cheers, and wishing you continued success & sobriety
Joe

12 Likes

No worries there – I think that’s absolutely valid! I have a lot of downtime with my current work schedule and noticed the social media creeping in throughout this past year, myself. I too am gonna cut back on the mindless scrolling if I can help it.

As you said, I could be using those minutes to learn old 70’s standards :smiley:

9 Likes

Super congrats Miss @chordsykat !

My deal is eating. And I intend to kick its arse this new year and get back to being healthy and feeling better. COVID excuse is now too old for all the Oreos. :face_vomiting:

8 Likes

Congrats on the great achievement !

6 Likes

Congrats @chordsykat, a fantastic achievement!

6 Likes

Well done! Congratulations!

6 Likes

Awesome, keep it up!

6 Likes

Congrats…people sometimes don’t realize how hard beating alcohol can be. One day at a time.

8 Likes

Congratulations @chordsykat and can I say how nice it is to see such support from a community

8 Likes

Congrats @chordsykat.

I stopped drinking a day after I turned 21, drinking legally lost the appeal, lol. Happy new year

6 Likes

Thats excellent…that takes a lot of commitment. You’ll be well and truely reaping the rewards now.

4 Likes

Yep, took me a further decade after 21, but I too was tired of waking up with the bar in my mouth, and I slowed down significantly. I’m 40 now, so this was just a long time coming. Congrats on your sobriety!

I think we’ve all said it before, but this truly is the best forum on the internets!

4 Likes

Yeah, me too… :frowning:

The biggest reason I don’t post videos…

4 Likes

If it’s something you feel like you can’t cope without…when you’re thinking “I NEED this,” yeah, it’s a bad place. The world can deal some tough blows…

5 Likes

Congratulations @chordsykat

4 Likes

Congratulations @chordsykat

ODAAT

4 Likes

Congratulations @chordsykat ,
The money you save can be invested in your musical pursuits,
Better bang for your buck👍
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Great, great job!