I'm buying a P Bass... WHAT COLOUR?

Hello friends!

After renting a bass while going through the B2B course, it’s now time to purchase my own.

I can’t for the life of me decide on what colour to get.

Would love to hear some opinions!

The only thing I know for sure is that it will have a maple neck and will likely change the pickguard to black.

I am somewhat leaning toward getting one in black with an eventual black pickguard.

Here’s the current lineup: https://www.fender.com/en-US/electric-basses/precision-bass/player-precision-bass/0149803509.html

1 Like

Tidepool (just like mine) / Maple neck and change out the pick guard. You’re welcome :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Interestingly enough, I am VERY inspired by the changes you made to yours… and tidepool IS available :sweat_smile:

BUT I’m not sure I want to copy you and take away from the originality of yours :grin:

BTW… is that a Carmedon pickguard?

2 Likes

Yes

I’ve got a Jazz Bass pick guard from these guys and it’s top quality

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone can help you choose as colour is such a personal preference. That being said, in terms of thoughts - you want something that when you look at it, it makes you want to pick it up. Also, please do not rely upon the colours on a website - you need to ideally see them in person and on the instrument you want and with the maple neck you are after. If you can’t do that, can you see the same colour on another model. If you can’t see the colour in person, they look through different photos via a Google search and you should get a reasonable idea.

Additionally, if you were to go with something like the 3-colour sunburst, be aware that no two bass will look the exactly the same. Depending on how the wood grain underneath looks, you can either get a beauty or something that looks like two different instruments stuck together.

I have to say, @Barney has done an awesome job with his. That definitely has the “I want to play it” vibe for me.

I’d like candy apple red or sea foam green, but with maple neck (don’t like pau ferro).

2 Likes

I have to agree, the Pau Ferro Fender uses and the way they finish I don’t like. I’ve had basses with Pau Ferro that look like rosewood. Fender’s look cheap in person.

So I would avoid Candy Apple Red and Sea Foam if it were me. But because of the fretboard. Other than that, got nothing, personal choice.

If you do want red or green, look for a Sire P5. They’ve got a roasted maple neck that’s gorgeous

2 Likes

1,000% This^^^

Look around at your color options and pick the one that speaks to you. All else is entirely immaterial.

2 Likes

I love the buttercream. That’s the one I’d get.

3 Likes

Yeah, no one can really help choose. For Fenders I am strongly biased towards pastel colors, maple necks and white pick guards - because subjectively to me, they look awesome. YMMV.

I do think one obvious truism though is that racing stripes make everything better :slight_smile:

1 Like

Personally I liked the stained clear wood the best where the grain shows through and you can hilite with stain and show off the wood grain, then finish with a clear coat, but if you like a paint color, then pick one you love and go for it. I just picked up a sea foam green that’s beautiful and zi love it. If it makes you happy that’s all that matters. And if you want to be unique then so much more,the fun.

1 Like

Black sounds good to me. Personally I would love a burst with a tortoiseshell pickguard but I couldn’t see it on the website :frowning:

2 Likes

If absolutely necessary, I would go with a primary color. Barring that, I’d go with white-ish first, then black.

Of course, I would never ignore nor negate a sunburst with tortoise pickguard. In fact, I’d prefer it over most other options, as Jamerson, et al, have done, historically.

Pastels need not apply. Ever.

2 Likes

Totally this

1 Like

How can you guys not look at Sonic Blue or that Buttercream and not want it :rofl:

2 Likes

Pretty easily. There are far better P color options. At least for my bucks.

I turned down a Buttercream. Not my jam at all.

2 Likes

Yeah its all subjective. For me, those pastels are Fender’s secret sauce. Looks timeless. Bursts just look old to me :slight_smile:

mmmmm:

6 Likes

Actually while we’re chatting about p-bass pickguards, does anyone know if the Squier P has the same template as a Fender P? i.e. I could get a custom Fender pickguard and put it on my Squier without drilling extra holes?

Whatever works for you.

I honor tradition.

1 Like

One thing to consider could be how you want to look on stage. With an all black bass and a Pau Ferro fretboard, you could be super low-key and have a mysterious vibe, with the all white you could be front and center visually. :thinking: What makes you lean towards a black pickguard?

3 Likes

I agree with this. I don’t think I could buy a new bass with a burst. It would have to be at least as old as I am.

2 Likes