I'm buying a P Bass... WHAT COLOUR?

I think almost any colour will make me want to pick up the bass - I’m in love lol.

But I get your point. My original question is more or less to see if someone shares a colour option I wasn’t aware of that maybe I could consider.

Really appreciate your input!

2 Likes

In all seriousness make the decision on your own. If you go by what someone else tells you, you may regret that and look to that person in anger for “helping” you pick out “your” bass. It’s all personal preference. There are way too many variables and if you pose that question in a forum, like you did, you will get 100 different answers based on what everyone else’s preferences are.

2 Likes

Prior to digging into playing bass seriously, I wanted a dark rosewood neck almost entirely because of how good it looks (imo).

But the pau ferro is so reddish/light brown that it totally changes the look for me.

I then saw how nice maple looked, and how many pros preferred that that I expanded my opinion.

Seeing so many responses (THANK YOU ALL!), has made me realize that choosing a colour that isn’t neutral would probably be difficult for me lol.

But they are all great looking in their own way.

I’m likely self-identifying too much with the colour choice :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

It’s beautiful… but I feel like to choose a colour like that you have to be REALLY sure it’s THE one.

2 Likes

This is a great point actually.

I don’t know how flashy I want the bass to be as I’m likely not to be a frontman lol

I would LOVE an all black setup but that pau ferro is just not dark enough for me.

I’ll likely be in a rock or punk cover band as funk and soul seems to be a lot less popular in terms of band openings.

I’m thinking of going with a black pickguard because the white tends to look TOO classic for me. It’s not a bad thing mind you!

1 Like
1 Like

The light reddish brown is a Fender thing. Other companies finish it dark and pau ferro can be gorgeous, like rosewood.

2 Likes

I think we may have spoken about this before but the pau ferro that FENDER uses is definitely outshined by competitors.

I agree - I’ve seen pau ferro on an Ibanez for example and it’s so nice!

I was thinking ESPs rosewood, but yeah. Same thing

1 Like

Overall I think ESP does an amazing job making sure their black/dark guitars/basses actually FEEL dark lol

1 Like

Tidepool with maple neck got my vote

2 Likes

I mean… por que no los, um, all of them? :smiley:

2 Likes

Then this is what you need to angle for. If you’re feeling the blackout bass, do that.

You could go with an older 2016 or earlier P Bass to get the dark rosewood. That was one of the reasons I sought out a 2015 Jazz Bass. You could also look to other manufacturers, like FujiGen, to get one with a matching black headstock.

Check this out…
Fender Precision Bass Limited-Edition Ebony Fingerboard Black | Guitar Center

It’s hard to find a bass with everything black unless you’re willing to pay a premium. If you can find a black bass with matching headstock and a rosewood or ebony fretboard, you’re most of the way there, and you can upgrade the hardware later to finish the look.

2 Likes

That is a beauty!

Thanks for sharing this dude!

I’m ok with the headstock being natural - kind of prefer it but I’ll definitely looking into an older P.

The Player series are the right price point for me, which is why I’m zoning in on those.

That ebony fingerboard though…

2 Likes

Oh,wow! Here’s one used, in excellent condition, and $300 dollars less!

Used Fender Limited Edition Player P Bass Electric Bass Guitar Black | Guitar Center

1 Like

If you want a reasonably priced well built bass with rosewood fingerboard and all black hardware then the Schecter P4 is worth a look. $899

3 Likes

Schecter has a few all black basses.

5 Likes

Just want to thank EVERYONE for their input/feedback!

2 Likes

Stealth black is the best. :star_struck:

3 Likes