I'm done with the B2B course, now what?!

Woohoo! Congrats, man!

I have my hands full (literally) with Mark’s fantastic Chord Tones Essentials and Sight Reading courses. Great, meaty stuff. No fast-track way to get through them, but that’s fine with me. Results are what counts. Rock on!

2 Likes

The Talking Bass Easter flash sale, 30% off atm.

4 Likes

Oh, hells yes! I’m stoked about the ones I just added to my TB courses.

2 Likes

Thanks! I was considering one of the courses for some time now. This was just a call to action :smiley:

3 Likes

I’ve been doing Technique Builder and really like it. I’m considering Chord Tone Essentials and Scale Essentials. I’ll probably pick one and get the other on a later scale sale.

2 Likes

I asked Mark which course(s) I should get first. Chord Tones Essentials is his go-to recommendation for players who want to improve their overall bass playing. Sight Reading was his other recommendation. I bought both a while back.

I bought Walking Bass yesterday as I love blues and jazz. I will get some more courses before the 30% off sale is over. Very possibly Technique Builder. Scales Essentials is also on my list.

3 Likes

I agree I started with chord tones and sight reading next.

I never finished scales.

3 Likes

I got the whole Sight Reading course for even cheaper than the $110 it’s listed at now, it hit the cart at $90-something. With my 10% coupon code in one of my sign up emails, it was under $90 :smiley:

5 Likes

I am also now an alumnus! :blush: I finished Josh’s course this past weekend and am working from a couple of books that I actually saw some people here in the forum had mentioned. One is Ariane Cap’s. She is no joke! :rofl: Her approach is VERY thorough and I believe if you were to follow all of her direction you’ll definitely end up in the right direction. I am tempted to take one of her online courses and Dan Hawkin’s eventually but for now I’m going to go back over Josh’s course as he recommends, additionally - I’ll be working from these books slowly and methodically. There’s so much information in both of these books and if you’re determined / motivated to learn you will and can’t go wrong with the information in these two books. I highly recommend both.

I had been spending more time with Ari’s book “Music Theory for The Bass Player” but now I’m spending some time on this other book by Hal Leonard (2nd edition) by Ed Friedland which contains books 1, 2, and 3. I’m working diligently through the beginning of it and there is a VERY strong focus on teaching sight reading which I’m quite excited by. I will say that working from these books is not as much fun as watching @JoshFossgreen on my TV whilst playing along and getting all the friendly direction but I am very excited to learn more and willing to put in the time and effort to get better.

I know I have thanked Josh several times in this forum but I’d also like to thank all of you for being so welcoming and helpful with input and information. Thank you!

5 Likes

Congrats @420bpm

3 Likes

Thanks @John_E

2 Likes

I took advantage of this TB Spring sale to get Technique Builder along with Walking Bass Essentials. Great stuff.

3 Likes

Big congrats on completing B2B. :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks @MikeC

2 Likes

I’ve only just scratched the surface. This was just the beginning but I believe it to be a really good foundation. I am super excited about learning more, I do wish I had started much earlier in life but here I am. :blush:

2 Likes

Yeah, that sentiment is ubiquitous in our B2B family, but I’ll tell you what: we couldn’t have landed in a better place to sip from the fire hose that is learning music in general, and bass playing in particular. Josh, our trusty bass teacher, has navigated those currents expertly.

Music is a vast oceanful of information. And on top of the daunting amount of data there is to learn - theory, technique, genres - there is the oh-so-personal aspect of the tactile/interpretive aspect of being able to speak the musical vocabulary and grammar we learn by actually playing an instrument.

Yes, at the end of the day, a musical instrument is just a tool. Left to its own devices, it silently waits for you/me/us to make it speak.

But, man, few human activities get more intimate than the relationship we forge with this innately inanimate object than when we learn enough to be able to express our unique voice and emotions through it.

It seems like magic. And it feels so damn good.

5 Likes

Your time is now, though. That was the right time. And consider this, was your younger self able to put forth the dedication and time you do now? Maybe, maybe not. You’re probably also better at managing your time, too.

4 Likes

@MikeC, yeah man I couldn’t agree more or have said it any better. :raised_hands:t2:

2 Likes

@Koldunya, no doubt! You are 100% right. I keep reminding myself of these things, and thank you for reminding me, I appreciate that. :+1:t3::+1:t3:

4 Likes

Congratulations!

2 Likes