I'm Sore!

Can anybody help this old guy out? During hour long lessons I sit on this neat little stool I bought, but after 20 minutes I am hurting all over, and end up with sore bottom and back. Can anyone recommend a good seating solution that is bass friendly? I don’t drink or do drugs (just Tylenol), I need something comfy!
Shockadrew

2 Likes

Have you tried a combination of standing and sitting? I have a drum throne that I sit on occasionally, but I stand most of the time because it feels more natural to me. I take periodic breaks in between switching between the drum throne and standing. My body is 70 years old, although I am much younger than that, but I have to adapt to my body being older than me.

2 Likes

Yes, I do stand a bit just to shift the pain around! I’m glad you can relate. I’m still 71 for two months. BTW what’s a drum throne? Is that like a drummer’s stool?

2 Likes

Yes, and you can adjust it to different heights. What’s nice about the drum throne is it has no arms or back to get in the way. Just a place to put your butt.

2 Likes

If you are just starting out, you might be sore for awhile. Like riding a bike after a long time hurts. I also always play with a strap (at least 3" wide) to support the weight, even when sitting (though if you wear it low then this won’t help much). If you have serious back issues, a back brace might help.

4 Likes

You might like to check out this thread:
https://forum.bassbuzz.com/t/how-do-you-hold-your-bass-when-sitting/6606/18

Several different ideas in there [including mine about modifying a cheap office chair].

2 Likes