In memoriam

Solid advice. Probate sucks.

2 Likes

Very sorry about your sister @Celticstar … My wife and I started our wills, but have never officially finished them. Guess I’ll get on that…

2 Likes
5 Likes

Always liked “Wreck”. RIP.

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind words.
I strongly urge you to take care of it now.
The lawyer preparing the Letter of Authorization has stated several times that one good thing in my favor is that there are no other relatives at all.

One thing I have tried to find out is what happens if when a man or his wife passes away what happens to that part of the person’s estate if there is no will. It does not affect my wife or I because we have a will but it is a question I intend to find out about for others.

2 Likes

One of the jam groups I play with is the Orillia Sunshine Ukulele group and we play in the library behind the opera house but both are on the same property.
Orillia is Gord’s home town.

I have met Gord several times and followed his career from the beginning when he would perform regularly at coffee houses in an area of Toronto that was known as the village and was located on Markham Street at Bloor Street. On weekends they would close Markham Street off to automobiles and it was a free festival. Gord performed there for many years.

Bob Dylan and Gord Lightfoot were always best friends and Bob would often visit Gord and show up at the village sessions back in the day. As a matter of fact Gord would only accept one of the music hall of fame’s inductions if Bob Dylan did the presentation. It was eventually arranged.

Thank you Gord for the Great Music and Good Times.
RIP

5 Likes

Sorry to hear about your loss, @Celticstar - and in such a horrendous way…

I am no lawyer, but in my country, if there is no will, the estate goes to the surviving spouse and any children who might be there, such that half of the estate goes to the spouse and the other halve is to be divided among the children.
In case there is neither a (surviving) spouse nor children, the siblings to the deceased (or their children if the sibling has already passed) will inherit.

While we’re at that topic (and since my mom recently passed away, I have some recent experience), another important document to consider and prepare is what here is called a “patient declaration” (wording likely to vary between countries). It is a statement that indicates whether or not you would want to accept life-prolonging measures in case of severe trauma, brain damage or coma etc.

This is very helpful to relatives in so many ways.

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind words.
I personally have always feared death by fire or drowning and thought that they would be the worst ways to leave this world.

We have that in Canada as part of the Will in a section regarding quality of life.
Because of the severity of the injuries and a poor chance of survival the attending physicians needed a decision regardless of whether there was a will or not.

In my sister’s case she had deep burns to 80% of her body and I had to give the burn center doctors that decision regardless of the fact there was no will. Her expectation of survival in the following 24 hours was less than 5% and there would not have been any quality of life to speak of if she did survive. Chances are she would have been kept in a medically induced coma due to the pain she would have otherwise suffered for the rest of any life she may have had. She was having continuous heart attacks and finally passed away approximately six hours after the fire on Saturday April 15th.

9 Likes

so sorry for your loss @Celticstar

2 Likes

Awful way to go, she was lucky to have you there to make the decision she no doubt would have made.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your sister.

2 Likes

i can’t even begin to imagine how hard it is for you. thinking of you today.

3 Likes

Sorry for your loss, @Celticstar.

2 Likes

Don’t forget “Sundown”.

4 Likes

We just got approved to do a 2 hour tribute to Gord in June :+1: :+1: :+1:

6 Likes

Thank You for all the kind words regarding the passing of my sister.
I appreciate them and it makes it a little easier.

4 Likes

My condolences @Celticstar and thank you for sharing advice. I hope it’s all sorted out for you soon.

Thanks too for the story about Gordon Lightfoot. Sundown is a song I listen to a lot.

3 Likes

In happier news, it sounds like Greg Norton’s cancer must be doing better:

He’s about to go on tour :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sorry to hear of your loss,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes
4 Likes