In memoriam

The inestimable Norman Lear has died at the age of 101.

His lifetime gift to the world was the sweet, sweet music of laughter. He will be sorely missed. RIP.

3 Likes

I need a better reply than “this sucks”

2 Likes

Laura Lynch, founding member and bass player of the the Dixie Chicks, was a victim of a senseless head-on car crash near El Paso, Texas, caused by some asshole who suffered non-life threatening injuries. May she rest in peace.

8 Likes

This sucks so bad, and there’s no way to come to terms with it that doesn’t involve an anger phase. It happened to the daughter and only child of a friend of mine earlier this year; she was just 20.

3 Likes

Tom Smothers has made the world laugh for the last time. Along with his brother Dick, Tom was a comedic genius and a truly gifted musician. Among many other things, on their ground-breaking TV show, the Smothers Brothers brought the music vanguard of the day right into mainstream American living rooms, including exclusive films of the Beatles.

The brothers’ folks songs, straight-looking haircuts and preppy blazers disguised incisive political satirists and anti-Vietnam war messages, and Tom was the man behind it all. He played the “dummy” of the two, but he was fiercely intelligent. His like will not soon come our way again.

Rest in peace, dear Tommy.

2 Likes

Oh no yo-yo man!
Loved that guy.

2 Likes

Aww man, he was great.

2 Likes

Appropriate for the season

R.I.P. Tommy

1 Like

Les McCann, legendary pianist who pioneered his unique blend of jazz, soul and funk, has died. Les influenced many musicians and was greatly admired by Quincy Jones, Mike Davis and countless others. RIP.

6 Likes

Melanie died yesterday. She was in the studio working on her 32nd album. She was in her 70s.

Here’s her earworm of a song if you don’t recall her.

7 Likes

yeah
RIP

2 Likes
2 Likes

The “day the music died.”

65 years ago tomorrow (3 February 1959) is the day that three early rock n’ rollers met their demise: Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and Jiles Perry “J.P.” Richardson Jr., AKA- Big Bopper.

Most probably know the general story of what happened, but a lesser known fact is that Waylon Jennings was slated to be on that fateful plane ride. Holly and Jennings were good friends both growing up in Texas. Jennings was part of the musicians on the Winter Dance Party tour which included the now well-known decedents.

“Big Bopper” Richardson had the flu and wanted to get to the next town to see a doctor; Jennings gave up his plane seat to him.
Before the flight when Buddy learned of the seat swap, he and Waylon were joking around when he said to Jennings, who was relegated to the ground transport, “Well, I hope your ol’ bus freezes up.”

Jennings quipped back with a statement that haunted him until his death: “Well, I hope your ol’ plane crashes.”

4 Likes
1 Like

shocking news.

2 Likes

oh this sucks - Mojo Nixon dead - he literally rocked so hard he had a heart attack right after a show.

5 Likes

Whoa

That’s a balls to the wall rock way to go.

3 Likes

I Just Heard This & Had No Idea Aston Passed Away On The 3rd of February - So Bummed

3 Likes

Oscar Ghilia, classical guitar genius, has passed away at 85. He has left a legacy of outstanding musical performances and hundreds of students who had the opportunity learn from the maestro. RIP

2 Likes