In memoriam

RIP Olivia, we will love you always

https://youtu.be/DnkHf069fvA

6 Likes

Oh no! What a long and strong battle she waged against the C word.
RIP Sandy

4 Likes

There was a BeeGees special with all three brothers on TV not long ago, maybe on PBS. It was a show they did at Madison Square Garden in 1997. They did at least one song from “Grease,” and Olivia Newton-John was in the front row with her young daughter. She and her daughter really seemed to enjoy it.
“Grease” starts at about 1:25:36, Olivia appears at about 1:26:41 and later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0npW4WoGmc&ab_channel=VAPTCUT
RIP Olivia.

5 Likes

Another one gone and young by today’s standards too.

5 Likes

So many people this year. Ugh

4 Likes

Bill Pitman, guitarist in the legendary group of studio musicians called The Wrecking Crew comprised of Carol Kaye and other greats, died at age 102. RIP.

6 Likes

Oddly enough, I just saw an interview with Steve Porcaro where he mentioned Bill and the Wrecking Crew

4 Likes

Makes me want to pull out my “Wrecking Crew” DVD and watch it again. :crying_cat_face:

4 Likes

Not bass related, but RIP Queen Elizabeth II

2 Likes

no, but she was a badass

3 Likes

Yes she was…you have to respect someone who served as long as she did. Even if you’re not a citizen, she was such a good person to admire.

4 Likes

Could you imagine being born into royalty and never, ever wanting for anything in your entire 96 years?

4 Likes

always seemed like a decent sort to me. i admired that she seemed to stand up for meghan. so now england will have a king again? what a spectacle that coronation will be :exploding_head:

4 Likes

It may be a few months before Charles will be coronated from what I read, and there’s no telling how long he’d serve since he’s 73. William’s been groomed to take over for quite a while. Still, it’s going to be tough to accept someone new on the throne after she served for 70 years.

3 Likes

She ascended the throne in 1952 and up until Tuesday was still carrying out matters of state. She met with the new Prime Minister to formalise her position despite having been suffering from mobility problems

I am not a royalist by any means but a dedication to service that she has shown without a word of complaint is an example to all.

8 Likes

A very sad day indeed.
I was fortunate enough to spend nearly 25 years around the “landed gentry “ in the UK and found all but a very odd one I met to be fantastic. I’m sure her close staff will be absolutely devastated.
Her Majesty will be sorely missed throughout parts of the world and a very hard act to follow.
Charles is a great person and will have been well prepared for this sad day. He will be a good King for the Commonwealth as I’m 100% sure William will be when his time comes.

6 Likes

My first and only trip to London. My first day of sightseeing I got to see the Queen leaving a dedication of the Churchill museum. Totally by chance and random. Was very cool.

5 Likes

Not a bassist, but neither was the Queen…

Amazingly talented man, one of my sax hero’s for sure

7 Likes

when i made this thread i envisioned it would be for bassists. when non-bassists started being honored i realized it was going to be for anyone that was important to us. which is better, i think.

2 Likes

Pharoah Sanders was truly an amazing jazz innovator. He will be missed. RIP.

3 Likes