Indonesia or Mexico... does one seem to have better quality?

They look very interesting @howard

3 Likes

They look good in action too:

Itā€™s her signature bass. Love the duct tape. And knowing F Chopper itā€™s highly likely she did rip the straplock out.

4 Likes

Excellent :joy:
Duct tape and cable ties are the best

2 Likes

Yeah, I still have an Orange Duct Tape wallet my daughter made me when she was about 10. She is 19 now. I have to keep adding tape to keep ti together, but its awesome

3 Likes

Thatā€™s as cool as @T_dub

2 Likes

Hi. Have you played this Indonesian made Sterling before? Some people said it doesnā€™t sound as good as the American made. What do you think?

1 Like

Hello! I have played them both but not long enough (also not near enough time wise) to be able to compare them.

But I must say these new Ray34PB s are looking and feeling really high quality.

2 Likes

Indonesiaā€™s factories make great instruments. Iā€™ve owned a bunch. All top notch.

3 Likes

@howard what are the Indonesian made basses that you own so far?

Yamaha TRBX304, TRBX604, and BB734A; also six-string Pacifica guitar. All were extremely high quality, easily rivalling the MIA instruments I have encountered in fit and finish, and (in the case of the 604 and 734A), meeting or exceeding them in tone.

The Indonesian made instruments are just fine.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve got a cheap Ray 4 which has a beautiful neck and I play often and an Ibanez SR650 which is an amazing bass and does anything I ask of it and could do so much more. Both Indonesian and I would recommend both in a heartbeat.
I also have an MIM Fender P . Again a good neck and well , itā€™s a p bass. Simple yet effective. It was several $100 cheaper than the Ibanez and around the same more expensive than the Ray4.
In all honesty the Ray4 is most certainly the best bang for your buck and thatā€™s Indonesian.

1 Like

Ainā€™t it though?
I put those SIMs pickups in the ray 4 as a temporary thing but Iā€™m really loving the neck on that thing so they are staying there a while.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve slapped an Aguilar pickup in mine as per @T_dub recommended and man I wish Iā€™d discovered these basses when I started out.
Maybe I wouldnā€™t have so many other basses now?
Please note the maybe :joy:

4 Likes

Ya the stock pickup is the downfall. But such an easy fix.

Iā€™ll say it again. Music Man stuff is top notch from low to high end. Iā€™m still in total awe of how well my stingray special is built.

3 Likes

I was playing my Squier P bass with the upgraded pup today and thinking the same thing.

Certainly would have followed a different path

3 Likes

Awesome, doesnt that pick up just kill it in the Ray4?
Did you swap out the pre amp also, or just the pick up for starters?

IMHO, the stock preamp is nothing to write home about, but it is adequate to do the job, and the pick up just completes that bass.

I know there are great preamps, and that you can further color tone right at the bass with the added MID on a 3band preamp, but I am happy as can be sith the pick up alone.

Plus, I can find a whole other Ray 4 to mod, on Offer Up, for the price of the Preamp. Then I would try a different pick up, possibl one of the less expensive ones, to see if theu sound good, and are as much of an upgrade at the $100 and up pick ups.
Kent Armstrong would be my first choice, but would try an Wilkenson, and radio tone as well.
5ink if you can drop a $50 pick up in. $150 2nd hand Ray4, and have a kick ass bass for $200. There are enough color Ray4ā€™s to have an N, I would like to try some of the other branded pick ups and see. Maybe do a tone shootout wi5 cheap and pricey pick ups all on 5e same Ray 4. (Or Jag like @Wombat-metal has, jist not enough colors on them uet)

Now, that said.

I want to find the most classic looking stingray, probably the Ray24 butterscotch,. One that has 1978 written all over it.

And drop in a Dark Dlass Tone Capsule, and some Herrick custom multi coil MM Humbucker into it, and make a total METAL ultra new school sound, out of the classic cute ā€˜1978 looking bass.

Just cuz I can. Lol

Someday I am sure to.

Glad you are Happy @Mac

@John_E . Have you been doing any testing wi5 your Sims pickups in 5at Ray body? Have you recorded and samples?

Or did you find a better home for them?
Sorry if I missed it already, I been our of commision for a good 3-4 weeks, but coming back now, should be here in full by this weekend ir next week.

Consider yourselves WARNED. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

@T_dub its sitting at the luthierā€™s still awaiting the custom pickguard.
I got one cover out in jazz mode but want to do a comparison video once itā€™s back with all combos.

3 Likes

I put a Noll 2 band in the Ray4 giving a passive/active option @T_dub
Not the most covered preamp but I like it.
The Ray4 now really doesnā€™t need anything else! Such a cheap yet quality option

2 Likes

Well that gets my vote for ā€œPost of the dayā€ @T_dub Toby!
Glad to have you back man.

5 Likes

Iā€™ll second that :+1:

4 Likes