Installed Zero Fret on the Hofner

There’s another thread that was started for the purpose of discussing the Zero Fret, but it had somehow evolved into a discussion about the merits of different basses. So ,rather than try to get that one back on track, I decided to start my own.

I mentioned in the chat that I had planned to install the Zero Fret on my newly acquired Hofner, and a couple members asked me to take pictures or make a video. So, here it is:

19 Likes

Just watched your video, Pam @PamPurrs . . . :slight_smile:

Also left you a thumbs up on the Tube

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Nice one @PamPurrs, liked as well :+1:

4 Likes

Thanks for reviving this topic. Both of my MTDs have zero fret as part of the original build. These have been amazing instruments for me so far, but I was super curious about the install as an aftermarket mod. I might put one on my acoustic or TL5.

Good job with the video!

6 Likes

That’s great Pam! Now I may actually put one on mine. Hey did you flip the truss rod cover over or did you remove the Hi-Bass writing to make it more authentic looking? And do I see teacup knobs on there already? Coming along nicely!

4 Likes

I was originally planning to just flip it over, but I discovered that the screw holes are countersunk, so I spray painted several coats of flat black over the Hi-Bass graphic to cover it up.

3 Likes

Looks good and may be a better option than what the guy did on the backbeat vintage YouTube channel. He buffed it off, but you can see scuff marks. He recently posted his last upgrade retrofitting a German pick guard on his ignition. He is an actual luthier and has better skills than I do, not sure I would attempt what he did. I’m sure you saw his video when he put the German electronics in it too…

4 Likes

I did see that video, but all I’ve done to it is what you see in the video. Maybe I lucked out and got the German electronics…

4 Likes

Well done @PamPurrs
Certainly given me the push I needed to follow through on my purchase

5 Likes

Go for it @Mac if a 72 year old granny can do it, so can you :smiley_cat:

5 Likes

Great video @PamPurrs! And you look comfortable around a camera!

2 comments:
1 - Some bits go to fast for slow readers like myself
2 - It would be nice to have a before & after sound comparison.

I know the 2nd point was not the purpose of the video, but I was (and still am) curious!

6 Likes

Thanks for the comments @gcancella. I can fix the first one but not the second. It will be on top of my to-do list for tomorrow.

(Yes I’m very comfortable in front of a camera, I’ve done it much of my working years.)

5 Likes

Here’s a deal @gcancella. My last cover (Heard it in a Love Song) is the before version. My next cover will be the after version. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

What an excellent deal!

5 Likes

Great video @PamPurrs, I enjoyed learning more !

5 Likes

Just great all around. Fun and a job well done!

6 Likes

@gcancella based on your suggestion, I made some modifications. See how you like it now, please.

8 Likes

Great presentation Pam, @PamPurrs,:+1::sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Yes, it’s way better now! Thanks!

Did you end the video with any cuss word left in the box?

5 Likes

I actually didn’t need to use any, so I have a whole box ready for my next project.

6 Likes