Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome @xlcr89 !

5 Likes

Welcome Sillymonky, I am sure you will enjoy the course. I didn’t know about Kala basses, they look beautiful.

And I like your singing, you have a beautiful voice and singing along with playing bass is not easy. Well done! That was an awesome introduction.

6 Likes

Welcome xlcr89, that’s a nice bass you have. Maybe you want to post some pictures? We have a section for that on the forum. Have fun!

5 Likes

Wow, @Sillymonky! Your recording of “I’m So Lonesome” is very soulful, both bass line and vocals. I’ve been working on singing while playing bass, and I find it quite difficult. You make it look and sound easy.

Look forward to hearing your next one!

5 Likes

Thanks so much! So far I’ve only been choosing very simple and repetitive bass lines that I can lock into my muscle memory, allowing me to be more free with my singing, but I’m hoping to get to a point where I can be more creative with both. But even with simple arrangements it still takes FOREVER to polish them to a state where I’m sort of happy with it. I played this one at a silly local talent show this summer (my first time playing bass on stage!) so it’s the most locked in of the 8 or so songs I can play somewhat reliably :wink:

4 Likes

@Sillymonky Would you be willing to share that bass arrangement here?
Bass Transcription Depot - Theory - BassBuzz Forum

3 Likes

@eric.kiser Hmmm - I just worked it out but I’ve never written it down. I’ll need to figure out how to do that, but I’ll share it when I do - thanks. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No pressure. If you decide to do it, plenty of people on here can make good suggestions for music transcription software and most (all?) will let you do notes on the staff or tab.

3 Likes

A very warm welcome to you @ Sillymonk
Join up to B2B NOW! You won’t be sorry.
If you are you, can come to Aus and punch me in the nose. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Better late then never lol thank you everyone for the warm welcomes. It’s a privilege to be a part of such an active community and to find a supportive circle of peers!
JAM OWN!

6 Likes

Hi everyone, hope you are all keeping well. I’m 48 and from the UK (living not too far from Oxford). This is how i ended up deciding to start learning bass : About 18 months ago, when lockdown/quarantine started I picked up an electronic drum kit, was absolutely loving it but it just was not convenient, due to lack of space, used to end up spending more time setting the kit up and putting it away than actually playing. Sold the drums and picked up a guitar, after a few months I was actually starting to get bored of it and practicing felt more like a chore than being fun for me. The wife suggested giving bass a try as mean as she used to see how much fun i was having trying to play the drums and, as she put it ‘it’s like drums with strings’. I picked up a used bass a couple of weeks ago and just fell in love with it! All I have been doing so far is literally just picking the strings. Have been trying to use my fingers but always keep going back to the ‘picking’ motion so will be learning with a pick since that is what I find is working for me at the moment (plus I like the tone it gives). Got quite fortunate as the person I got my bass from is a guitar player who is in a band and they gig faiirly regular. He has a friend who has just started to play drums, they were kind enough to invite me to join them for jamming sessions in the new year (assuming i can at least play something by then, lol) as they said it is hard work trying to find a bassist. As for influences, I am a rocker/metalhead at heart and have been my entire life, anything from Slipknot to Guns N Roses with a bit (well a lot) of Motley Crue and White/Rob Zombie in between, so no suprises that Piggy D, Duff McKagan and Nikki Sixx are 3 of them.
MY end game, so to speak is to just be able to play along with some of my fave songs and hold my own in a jamming session, going to be a hard slog but worth it.
Done the usual youtube ‘beginner bass lessons’ search and, of all the lessons out there, Mr. Fossgreens were the ones I found to be easier to follow and are presented in a way that even my old brain and poor attention span could process them. Wife is getting me the Beginner to Badass course for Christmas so can start to really learn, looking forward to it.

12 Likes

Welcome @Darkskythe

5 Likes

Welcome aboard @Darkskythe ,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Welcome @Darkskythe !

5 Likes

welcome @Darkskythe

5 Likes

Glad you are here @Darkskythe
Enjoy the ride, you will love the course!

6 Likes

Welcome @Darkskythe nice to have you in the team. Sooner or later you will enjoy playing fingers style too, but learning with a pick is a good start.

4 Likes

Hi, I’m new to bass and to bassbuzz. I’ve enjoyed learning drums over the last two years and wanted to expand my abilities. Got myself a beautiful Fender Ultra Precision Bass that is immaculate and the tone is great. As soon as my strap arrives in the post I’ll be right into the lessons. Looking forward to buzzing away and mixing with my drumming.

14 Likes

Welcome aboard, @kdandridgeuk . . . that’s one beautiful bass . . . :+1:

Good luck with it and with taking the course. We hope you enjoy your time with us!

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Welcome @kdandridgeuk , enjoy the lessons!

4 Likes