Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome aboard @Purplediva,
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m Ant. I’m very new to Bass (less than one week) and I have always wanted to learn Bass, but have never gotten the courage to do it until now. Even though I have no idea what I’m doing, I keep playing through the YouTube tutorials and always trying to get that “one more try” before stopping for the night.

Sometimes I feel goofy starting this so late in life, but it makes me happy. Frustrated too, because I feel like an infant learning how to grab a spoon for the first time, but happy with myself for sticking to it.

I look forward to learning a lot here.

I posted this in one of the other threads, but here is my beautiful Bass :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Welcome ANT. you will find here that you are of average so probably under average age for starting. many of us have started mid to late in life as well.
I am 48, and I am am still on the younger side, or probably in the middle.
don’t worry, every week you will look back at the last and go, Man, what was impossible last week is possible this week, and what was difficult last week is less difficult this week.
Stick with it, you will do great.

5 Likes

No problems @architecht13,
I started playing bass when I was 30, then life changed directions ,work, family other interests and I started back playing in April when COVID started, 28 years later, so your never to old :+1:
Dive in and enjoy​:+1::sunglasses:
There is plenty of support on the forum👍
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Thank you @T_dub. It’s good to know I’m in good company! Enjoying it so far. I look forward to practicing every chance I get.

4 Likes

Thank you @TNKA36. I’m glad I found the site and these forums. COVID was really starting to wear on me and I needed something positive to enjoy. I’ll keep at it!

5 Likes

@architecht13, welcome aboard :slightly_smiling_face:
A lot of people in here started late, as did I. The advantage of starting late however is you know you want it :grin:
And being happy is what’s most important!

4 Likes

@Krescht Thanks for the kind words, bud! I am definitely in it for the long haul. Bass feels very therapeutic after a mind numbing day of work :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is what brought me back into music.
I played guitar as a late teen, early adult for a few years, then life took over.
Now that I had time, and needed something to fill it, therapeutically, Bass was just the right choice all around.
as was joining the BassBuzz Forum. Purchasing and completing the Beginner to Badass course, and continuing my education and growth as a musician.

4 Likes

Welcome @architecht13

Another vote for doing the B2B course here. It’s certainly made a massive difference to my playing :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum Ant @architecht13

It’s never too late to fulfill your dreams and passions. I got my first bass for my 70th birthday and have been learning, practicing, and playing every day since.

Enjoy the course!

4 Likes

Welcome Ant! Great group of musicians on here to gain experience from! I have learned a lot from them already.

5 Likes

Hey @architecht13,
I hearing you regarding the COVID :poop:
@Mac, @rory and myself are in Melbourne and at this point in time we are in our 4 th week of stage 4 lock down that includes curfew from 8.00pm to 5.00am , 1 hour exercise per day, 1 person from each household allowed to shop for essentials, no travel beyond a 5 km radius of home, work from home if you can, no social gatherings including visits from families etc.
Home schooling for all , wearing of masks when you leave your property
Very depressing situation that is starting to have a big impact on people’s mental health.
Hope this makes you feel better wherever you are in the world👍
Cheers Brian

7 Likes

@TNKA36 Brian, I don’t know how you keep your sanity with that going on. I would be absolutely postal by now.

6 Likes

Hi Pam,
I am very fortunate actually😎 My job as an inspector allows me to travel anywhere within the state of Victoria, big plus👍
I do however feel for all the people who are stuck at home doing home schooling with their kids full time, all the people who live on their own without having any family/ friends being able to visit.
All the small businesses etc that will never recover from the lock down, it goes on and on

6 Likes

The biggest impact I’m finding is that all health appointments are by phone or zoom so there’s no actual examinations being taken and I’m being left trying to explain the effect of any change in medication alteration.
No visitors actually suits me as I really don’t feel 100% comfortable around anyone but close family. Even then I can actually get tired of them.

6 Likes

We see that too. My wife is a therapist and her client load is at maximum capacity.

6 Likes

I started playing bass when I was 14 and was in a working bar band long before I could legally enter the bars (my bandmates would sneak me in). The band broke up, life got in the way, and playing bass became a memory.

Fast forward about 45 years. A few months ago I found myself stuck at home with time on my hands (like a lot of people). I mentioned to my wife that I was thinking about buying a bass and amp, expecting her to tell me to stop being silly. Much to my surprise she responded “I think you should go for it.” That’s why I married her.

I had used a Fender P-bass back in the day, and experienced sticker shock when I found out what one goes for now. So, I went with a Squier, along with a Fender Rumble 25 amp. I’ve since added a Gretsch Junior Jet short scale bass.

Things. Have. Changed.

I originally learned to play by listening to records, hanging out with other musicians, and going to concerts and planting myself at the stage right in front of the bass player. Of course there were no YouTube videos, no internet, no personal computers. The resources available today are truly mind-boggling.

A good thing, since it is amazing how much one can forget in half a century. Knowledge is forgotten, muscle memories fade, but bad habits last forever. I can still play . . . a little. It’s coming back, very slowly.

I’ve looked at a lot of YouTube and other online material, but I keep returning to BassBuzz. The videos are clear and informative while still managing to be entertaining. The forums seem friendly and attitude-free.

I’m looking forward to learning more.

10 Likes

Welcome @spidey9

4 Likes

Welcome @spidey9

4 Likes