Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome aboard @jbolduc,
It,s taken awhile, but now your here,
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Welcome aboard @szwalewski,
This is not uncommon for these basses, they are hand made instruments, I kinda like the shape and the headstock, very nice👍
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

HI everyone. I’m Dave. I’m 57, and a 30±year, mediocre guitar player. I’ve decided to use the upcoming winter, and a possible Covid-lockdown to learn bass. I’ve seen Josh’s YouTube videos, and decided I liked him better than the stuff I was seeing on JamPlay, where I’m trying to improve my guitar skills.

I’m a couple of days in, and so far, it’s been as good as I expected. I am flying through the lessons right now, but I expect I’ll run into my first challenge soon enough. I’ve already had some fun taking my improved technique and just jamming along to my guitar tracks. Good times, baby!

10 Likes

Welcome @jbolduc… I am also a fan of Jack Bruce, who is among the many unsung heroes of bass.

4 Likes

Welcome @davidehuber

5 Likes

Welcome aboard @davidehuber,
You have come to the right place.
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Welcome to the community @jbolduc & @davidehuber!

5 Likes

Welcome @jbolduc and @davidehuber

4 Likes

Welcome @Bassbiz, good to hear about another bass rescued from beneath the bed! :bed::zap:

Welcome @jbolduc, glad you’re back on bass! I just watched a really fun Jack Bruce instructional video, some nice performances, and he’s pretty darn funny too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx29x2x3Odc

Welcome @davidehuber, glad you’re having fun with the course so far!

6 Likes

Hi all,
James here, I have lived in various places around the UK (Liverpool, London, Bath…) and now find myself in the ‘sunny’ Lake District. An accountant by day (sorry) still searching for a way out of accountancy by night (music/writing/drawing - all badly!!)

I’ve dabbled in guitar for a good few years now (nearly 20!) and played in a few bands through my teens and twenties, being self taught though I kind of feel like I never really learnt anything properly. Decided that I’d pick up a bass to learn something new to keep me entertained through any further COVID lockdowns!

After watching a number of YouTube videos on beginners bass and where to start I stumbled across bass buzz and figured I’d do the learning bit properly this time! As such I’m looking forward to cracking on with the Beginner to Bad Ass course and learning a proper instrument this time (as a bassist friend put it!)

Cheers,
J

9 Likes

Welcome aboard @jimi2104,
You have come to the right place,
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @jimi2104!

5 Likes

Welcome @jimi2104
The Lakes can be a beautiful part of the world.
Apart from the tourists during the summer but that should have been eased this year

5 Likes

Welcome @jimi2104 you are in the right place. I’m doing the same thing here. I’ve been pleasantly surprised at some of things I knew but had know idea I knew them or their relevance till I jumped into the course!

5 Likes

Welcome @jimi2104

5 Likes

Hi everyone, my name is Michiel, which is the Dutch version of Michael, and I am from The Netherlands. I am 51 years old, and like so many people here, I decided to pick up the bass only fairly recently. I took a couple of classic guitar classes when I was about 13 or 14 years old, but I was never any good (mostly because I never practiced, which I didn’t because I didn’t want people to hear that I sucked, and obviously because of that I continued to suck :stuck_out_tongue:). However, my guitar teacher always made us play popular pieces of music, and he would always divide the group into three: one group playing the melody, one group playing the chords, and one group playing the bass line. I would always end up in the bass line group, probably because it was usually the easiest part to play, but also because I really enjoyed that. Even back then I already had a hunch that I might be better suited to be a bass player than a guitar player.

Fast forward a couple of decades, and for some reason I started thinking about playing the bass again. I did some reading about it on the Internet and watched some YouTube videos until early July, when I decided I wanted to give it a go. Because I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on something that I might not enjoy after all, I bought a used Harley Benton PB-20 bass and a Vox Amplug Bass headphone amp (all for only 60 Euros!) and started playing along to the free videos on some of the well-known YouTube channels. I tried several of those channels, but I found myself coming back to the BassBuzz channel every time. For some reason, Joss’ teaching style appealed to me most.

After about two months I decided I wanted to make some real progress, so I treated myself to a brand new, spanking Cort Action PJ bass, and I bought the B2B course. Since then, I’ve been trying to practice at least three nights a week, and I’m enjoying it immensely. I’m currently at Lesson 4 in Module 5, and I’m really amazed at how fast I’ve progressed. One of the reasons I decided to buy the B2B course is this forum full of super supportive people, so I thought it was time that I registered and introduced myself. Nice to meet you all; I hope I will be able to make a contribution in here as well!

15 Likes

Welcome to the community @Mike_NL!

4 Likes

Hooray, two more newbies from Europe :grin: some day after all the lockdowns we might meet and play some bass version of that Guinness record breaking Hey Joe by thousands of guitarists in Wroclaw! Somewhere in the middle seems close to Nederlanden, @Mike_NL? @jimi2104?

4 Likes

Welcome @Mike_NL

5 Likes

Welcome aboard @Mike_NL,
You have come to the right place👍
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes