Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome @Mike_NL

5 Likes

Welcome aboard @Mike_NL don’t worry you will find lots of way to contribute on here!

4 Likes

Just a quick note, today has been the first time I’ve actually bit the bullet and took the lessons I have learned with 12 bar blues and played with a backing track. It was great, I underestimated myself in how well it would come together. Did you know the time you have turned the corner or got off the “plateau” ? This feels like it!

6 Likes

Welcome James @jimi2104, hope you enjoy a ‘proper’ instrument. :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome @Mike_NL, glad you’re enjoying the course!

6 Likes

Lots of such stories in this thread

6 Likes

Thanks BABG, I’ll check it out!

6 Likes

Hi folks,

Shaky here from the UK, another new member picking up the bass for the first time on the wrong side of 50… I’ve had electric guitars for many, many years but have never clicked with them. Tried to learn but always gave up before trying again and then giving up again. Something never “clicked” enough for me to keep going through the early learning frustration stages. More recent health issues affecting my left hand made me try and pick up the guitar once more to see if it would be good exercise and therapy - the old frustrations appeared again and so I got no exercise for my hand, just a greater feeling of getting nowhere.

Recently, while watching music gear videos on YouTube, I had a revelation. If you asked me who my favourite bands are I would say Rush and Yes, and what do I key in on when I listen to their music? The bass line. Looking through some beginner bass tuition videos it looked like the way you use your left hand on a bass could be more compatible with my left hand (I struggle with chord changes on a guitar). However, I was concerned about the scale length of a bass and the fact that my hand span is limited as well. Then up popped a video on Anderton’s channel for the Sire U5 short scale basses - maybe this could work for me. After thinking about it for a few days I decided to give it a go and so I now have a bass!

Currently I have it hooked through an old Apogee Jam that I found in the back of a drawer to my Mac and I am using GarageBand for an amp. Desktop speakers aren’t great for bass frequencies but it works to get me started. Found the BassBuzz channel and have been using the beginner videos to get me going and starting to work on right hand technique (picking feels very odd after only ever having used a pick on a guitar). The big revelation - unlike the guitar, as soon as I picked up the bass and started plucking at the strings, it made sense. Just practicing playing 1/8th notes with my fingers to a metronome was fun and I could see the point of it and where it was leading to. Plus it was already proving to be good exercise for my hand without leading to the frustration I got with the first stages of learning the guitar.

So, I’m very happy with my decision to dive in to the world of bass and also with my purchase - the bass is incredibly well made for the price and the shorter scale is definitely the way to go for me. Now, where do I go next? Thinking about investing in the BassBuzz course so was wondering what you guys thought of it. Is it worth the money and a good way to start out? I don’t expect to ever be able to play live and I doubt if I have time to get good enough to play YYZ or Roundabout. However, being able to lay down a decent blues bass line and jam a bit with a guitar player is my goal.

Oh, and any recommendations for a practice amp? Nothing too big or loud - my wife is very supportive of my playing right now and wouldn’t want to undermine that by shaking the house or inflicting my learning process on her!

Cheers,

S.

11 Likes

Welcome @ShakyBass

7 Likes

Welcome to the community @ShakyBass!

5 Likes

Welcome aboard @ShakyBass,
You have come to the right place.
The course is worth every $$ :+1:
Josh has structured the course to enable you to stay focused, motivated and it’s FUN, most importantly :+1:
Using your fingers as opposed to the pick IMO provides for a warmer tone and expression.
It takes time to build strength and dexterity in both hands, and you have bought a bass that sounds like it best suits you😎
In regards to an amp, I’m sure one of the tech guru’s on the forum will be able to help you out👍
If my 2 hands ever get half as good as Chris Squires pinky finger I will think I’m a legend :grin:
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

7 Likes

Cheers,

Have now read the course review forum thread (should have done that first) and it sounds like it will work for me so I guess I better dust off the credit card!

S.

8 Likes

Welcome @ShakyBass
Another vote here for you to do the course. It’s such a good entry to bass and so much more
Rush are a great band and Geddy Lee is wizard . I’m trying one of their songs atm and I’ve got about half way through to a reasonable level.
I didn’t pick up a bass until May of this year and I just know I would never have got so far in my bass journey without taking Josh’s B2B course

7 Likes

Welcome @ShakyBass You are in the right place. I am just over 1/2 way thru B2B and this is the first music course I have stuck with and been inspired to keep going. I too tried guitar a few times because back then everyone said oh if you want to play bass you need to learn guitar and it will all just translate over but I had the worst times with chords and couldn’t take the stupid songs and stuff they used. Josh uses real songs that make you wanna play and makes it fun to practice and see the progress!

As for a practice amp I have a small Fender Rumble 25 and its perfect for the house and not shaking the pictures off the wall. There is also a smaller 15w version but for the small price difference I went with the 25w one. I also got a set of headphones from Amazon so when needed I can keep my noise to myself

9 Likes

Thank you all for the welcomes, I really like how active these forums are!

Welcome @Mike_NL and @ShakyBass! @szwalewski sounds good, I’m always up for a record attempt!! :joy:

@JoshFossgreen enjoying the proper instrument so far!! Just about to start Module 3 :smiley:

10 Likes

Welcome @ShakyBass! My usual recommendation for a practice amp is the Fender Rumble series, the smallest I recommend is the Rumble 40. Still haven’t heard anything better for the money!

9 Likes

With a cold quarantine winter coming up I figured this would be an amazing time to pick up a new hobby and playing bass is something I’ve always wanted to do. I haven’t played any instruments to date so this feels incredibly daunting but I’m determined to stick with it!

Just signed up for the Beginner to Badass series — there are free resources but I don’t mind paying based on the quality of content I see, and quite frankly I think being a few bucks in will help me see it through to the end :wink:

Can’t wait to pick everyone’s brain :slight_smile:

I’m running a Squier 70s Vibe Jazz through a Zoom B1four to headphones while I search for a Rumble 40 for a good price locally.

8 Likes

Welcome @LittleJackal

The course is great not only in educational content but fun at the same time.
Enjoy :wink:

5 Likes

As far as equipment goes you’re off to an excellent start :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Welcome aboard @LittleJackal,
you have come to the right place and the course will have you progressing and staying motivated.
It is money well spent, and everyone here is always ready to offer a tip or any help.
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian.

6 Likes

Welcome @LittleJackal

6 Likes